Nothing like a ride.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Nothing like a ride....

Well, after a few months of not being able to ride, battery, registration, I finally got it all sorted out. Was having a pretty crappy morning, but that all seemed to go away with a quick ride. I got a new gel battery, hopped on my trusty, yet slightly dusty steed, and went for a quick ride around the neighborhood. Nothing like a quick ride to make you forget all your troubles.

Does anyone else forget about their problems by riding? I focus on the road ahead of me, NEVER day dream (good advice for new riders). You can't think about the argument you just had with your old lady, or your boss, just pay attention to the road ahead of you and keep your head out of your arse!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
+1

I love to set my problems aside and go riding, but you have to know the difference between that, and riding because of your problems. Riding is great stress relief, but not good anger management. Trust me, I wrecked an R6 because of clouded judgment and a bad day.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Typically riding my bike is the only way to forget my troubles. Not only do I have the most stressful job on the planet which looses me money I'm not doing very well in school and I'm about to have my financial aid cut off. On top of that I have counseling and medical bills to deal with and since I moved to Columbus a year ago I still haven't made a lot of friends to have fun with. So yeah, I like using my bike to forget about the world... the more pissed I am the harder I ride and the more I enjoy it. snakesht is probably right and that's not the best way to deal with it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Just went through the same series of events almost. Sure is nice to get the wind back in my face.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Strength and Honor

Sometimes my mind can't let go of something, and I avoid riding for the reason Jester listed. It was a hard experience to have first-hand, too. But lots of things do quickly melt away as the focus on the coming turns and curves clarify what's important while riding.

Jester, gel battery? Any reason you chose that over the standard water-based?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Jester, gel battery? Any reason you chose that over the standard water-based?

Someone told me a while ago that they last longer and don't crap out as often as water based.

EDIT I got more info from my buddy on why gel over water: You can leave for for like 2 years, and the bike will still start up. Assuming you don't have anything like a clock or something that runs all the time. Good for peeps who live in COLD climates. Doesn't discharge like lead acid. It can go longer w/o being charged. Lead acid batteries... if you leave the bike for 3 weeks, you gotta charge it, or it won't have nuff juice to turn over. Besides, when you tip the bike over, there's no possibility of leaking acid all over the place since it is gel.

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Last edited by Jester; 02-07-2008 at 02:36 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 AM

Agree with you Jester, only up here in Canada the bikes are still "winterized" due to the cold weather, cold winds, snow, sleet, icy roads & things like that in general not to mention trying to ride we would run into a thing called Wind Chill Factor that would be even worse.

Still you are correct that when I saddle my bike all in my mind about this or that is wiped away for 100% concentration on the road & the traffic even from oncomming side roads is noted for even with STOP signs they do not necessarily stop as the law says.

After all I ride my sportbikes in a defensive mod, but then have been doing that since around mid '48 when I was given the tip by not only a WWII vet, but a present day rider that was riding m/cs sometimes in the early '30s. So my signature below fits with what he said. This chap was so interested in my days of competiton that I could count on him 100% of the time to be assisting me or be one of the pit crew & basically the organizer.

As for the gel battery I have been using them in m/cs to my cages since in the 90s & YES they do have a longer life. Fact is over winter time I have my three sportbikes in a cold garage, but plugged up two three Battery Tenders as I do, even in the good riding time as I come home for the evening,-------nothing like being ready to ride & find your battery is NOT failing to start the bike. Said $40.00 (more here in Cdn for most things in Cdn are more costly then the States) for the Battery Tender (BT) is money so well spent.

Even though the BT is only 1.25 amps charge it shuts off once the battery it to snuff, to put the BT on "storage" & when the battery is loosing a bit of perk the darn BT will kick in again-----and will do this continually.

I have a Subaru 'Forester' since Feb of '06. I note so many Subaru people only look upon the battery to last 4 to 5 yrs. Well with a gel battery in my retired truck it lasted 10 yrs though some 30 minutes of use with the BT from one of the bikes. So doing the same with my present Subaru & it only takes 25 to 35 minutes to have the battery up to snuff. You see some yrs ago I put a gel in my '91 Suzy GSXR-750, use the faithful BT, & sold the bike in '00 with the same battery so at least it lasted 9 yrs in the buyers bike.

May take a bit longer this time for I broke my hip Nov. 29th & with crutches I have not been able to transfer a BT to the SUV, till I am with a cane then definately will AND it will be interesting how long it takes for obviously being a bachelor------I am home bound beyond belief & going nutty about said situation of not transporting myself let alone not able to ride till around late Spring, like around late April I feel fof back in Dec of '89 I broke my other hip.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-05-2008 at 04:59 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM

1+
I am in complete agreement with Jester...unfortunately, I put myself and my bike, which still hasn't hit 300 miles on the odometer, at risk by riding angry. I managed to keep it together, but it's a practice that I try to avoid.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

I had a friend that rode pissed off. EMT's said that the needle on the speedo was stuck at 140. He hit a car so hard that it spun the car 3 times. Needless to say he did not make it.

Long story short, leave your troubles behind, pull your head out of your ass, and focus on what is in front of you while riding at a safe speed.

Stay safe everyone!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I had a friend that rode pissed off. EMT's said that the needle on the speedo was stuck at 140. He hit a car so hard that it spun the car 3 times. Needless to say he did not make it.

Long story short, leave your troubles behind, pull your head out of your ass, and focus on what is in front of you while riding at a safe speed.

Stay safe everyone!
Screw you, Jester! I'll ride up to 70MPH on the freeway if I want to, and you can't say otherwise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode