Are custom Power Commander maps worthwhile? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Are custom Power Commander maps worthwhile?

During the off-season I've been installing more electronics than the U.S.S. Enterprise into my bike. One thing is a Power Commander and the add on ignition module and some other stuff. My question is... not knowing what the cost is, is it worthwhile to have the bike dyno'ed for a custom map or should I pick one from Dynojet that seems pretty close to my setup?

My bike at the time of being on the dyno would have a BMC race air filter and some sort of slipon exhaust. Ideally I would like to have two maps, one for the street with my stock exhaust which would be tuned for quietness and fuel efficiency and another tuned for max power on the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 PM

if you don't have some crazy mods or unique products, the custom maps on their website will do just fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
custom map worked for me. its was the only thing i could do after some of the mods i did. i was running really lean. had to tow the bike to get it mapped. this all happened after a few intake mods i did.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
When I'm about to get anything for my bike I ask one question, "how many track days will this cost me". If I can live with the answer then I'll buy it. My bike is stock except for a damper and ss lines up front wich were both presents.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Also, if you have a newer bike (starting in 2006 for some sportbikes) be aware that some have closed-loop oxygen sensor feedback control loops, which sort of negate any mapping a standard PC may do, although there is a version of the Power Commander that will work with an oxygen sensor loop.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
Also, if you have a newer bike (starting in 2006 for some sportbikes) be aware that some have closed-loop oxygen sensor feedback control loops, which sort of negate any mapping a standard PC may do, although there is a version of the Power Commander that will work with an oxygen sensor loop.
yeah, those are california or euro bikes. most 48 state bikes dont have 02 sensors. and power commander DOES make an 02 eliminator.

Redline Superbike Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

^ Correcto. JBaz earlier said on another thread a mapped PC would also decrease fuel economy about 20%... making a tank of gas last me about 100 miles in the city. Wtf.

Oh yeah, I looked at the new 1000RR today at the international motorcycle show in Cleveland. I nearly spooged my pants just sitting on it! Now that wouldn't need any power mods...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
^ Correcto. JBaz earlier said on another thread a mapped PC would also decrease fuel economy about 20%... making a tank of gas last me about 100 miles in the city. Wtf.

Oh yeah, I looked at the new 1000RR today at the international motorcycle show in Cleveland. I nearly spooged my pants just sitting on it! Now that wouldn't need any power mods...

lol, the new 08 1000rr is fugly!!!! the only thing i like on the bike is the subframe and tail section. thats about it.

and i get about 115 miles before my fuel light comes on, and have about 20 miles max before i run dry. ive got a 4.8gal tank. F fuel enonomy, i want performance.

Redline Superbike Member

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I rode an '07 1000RR. Before that, the only liter bike I'd been on was an SV. Big difference, of course, and the RR seemed almost as flickable as my 600. Got the wheels turning in my head

Back on topic, I've heard mixed reviews about getting a custom tuned map. The mechanic at the dealership where I got my bike told me NOT to get it dyno-tuned at their shop, because the guy that did the actual tuning didn't do it for practical rideability, but rather maximum fuel/air ratio at all RPM (or something to that effect...basically, he said there were a couple times where the bikes he tuned got on the street and when the rider got on the throttle, the bike just bogged down).

Personally, if I can find somebody with a good reputation that's willing to accept my input, rather than arrogantly telling me that he is God's gift to the dyno, I might consider having it done. As it is, I'm running a map for an M4 exhaust and it works ok, besides being a little sluggish off the line. Last time I checked, there were at least 10 maps available for my bike (not counting European model, not sure what the difference is) so it's just a matter of seeing if any of those act any better.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Took these photos yesterday. I'm starting to like it:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode