Hard to start when cold - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Hard to start when cold

The motor doesnt start as easily as it used to. At first just touching the starter button was enough to get it purring. After a while it had to be cranked longer, thru maybe 3-4 revolutions. Now, it fires after about 3-4 revolutions, but the first 2-4 revolutions under its own power are slow, uneven, and generally sound bad. After that the engine evens out, and everything is well. If its warm, it starts right up with no issues. Before this recent development, the bike set for a few months in disuse.

So what gives?
The plugs are still original, so they probably need replacing (16k miles on the clock)
Air filter is relativly new, oil is fairly fresh
Dirty injectors? I havent run any cleaner thru them in recent memmory
Its done the same thing on different tanks of gas, so I'm pretty sure its not bad gas.
Something else? Bad mass airflow sensor, or air temp sensor? no FI codes given

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Strength and Honor

Are you saying the turnover sounds strained? How about battery? All water fill points correct? Battery holds a good charge and is fully charged?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Guess I wasnt clear. The turn over sounds fine, the starter seems to work great.
How about this,
In the first year: touch the starter, the engine fires on the very first revolution
After a year or so: Touch the starter, the engine turns over twice or 4 times, before firing. Insdead of inna-vroom, its more of a inna-inna-inna-vroom. I wouldnt say its hard to start, just harder than it used to be.
After this last break: hold the starter for a few revolutions, then engine fires, but the first few revolutions under gas power sound like the engine is about to die, the idle is real rough. After a second or so the idle smoothes out and everything is fine and dandy. So its a inna-inna-inna-vroo,cough-vroo-pause-vroom-vroom-vroom.
Side note: had the gas tank off and the fuel pump out this last break, and while I tried to keep everything very clean, I suppose something could have gotten in there and clogged up the fuel pump.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the plugs.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Oh, I most definitely would suspect the plugs. I'm sure you're overdue for a replacement.

Get some Iridiums. I got 40,000 miles out of my last set and they could have probably gone longer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Any idea how deep I have to get in there to change them? I'm guessing take off fuel tank and air box, but hopefully I wont have to take the throttle bodies off...

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 PM

I don't know about the ZX10 specifically, but normally you just need to prop the tank up and remove the airbox. It's not a big deal.

Also, don't pull all of the plugs at once. Depending on how loosely or tightly your plugs are wired, you could possibly lose track of the firing order.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
I don't know about the ZX10 specifically, but normally you just need to prop the tank up and remove the airbox. It's not a big deal.

Also, don't pull all of the plugs at once. Depending on how loosely or tightly your plugs are wired, you could possibly lose track of the firing order.
Thanks! thats just the sort of mistake I would make and then have to spend 30 minutes looking it up

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
you dont have a factory service manual vash?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx954HxCafexX
you dont have a factory service manual vash?
Its a PDF saved on my desktop. I print the section I need before I start working on something. Why?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Any idea how deep I have to get in there to change them? I'm guessing take off fuel tank and air box, but hopefully I wont have to take the throttle bodies off...
cause of this post, yea i got my manual pdf, printed it all out and put it in a 3 ring binder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode