Would U buy this? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Would U buy this?

http://laredo.craigslist.org/mcy/528781353.html

Is it a Good price?

Anything you like or dislike about it?

I'll start: I dislike that the engine was track raced. I know All sport bikes' engines are raced.

I'm also wondering about the skill level of the installer of the mods. Mods kinda scare me.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Hard to say without having the year, but seems abit high for a beat up race bike. But not too high. If the guy threw in a set of stands and tire warmers I'd be tempted

Keep in mind: that bike is a race bike, it is not street legal!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

what makes it not street legal besides the blinkers and lights?

how much would stands/tire warmers go for? cheap huh?

I was too excited about it didnt even notice it didnt have a year.
thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 PM

to be street legal it would need blinkers, headlights, tail lights, liscence plate light. It may also need the brake light and turn signal switches, there is a good chance that those have been removed. Since it has a new master cylinder, the stock switch will not fit. In addition the tires are most likely not dot approved.

New stands sell for $200-$500, with new tire warmers begin around $500.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
that, and most race bikes have a cod/salvage/non repairable title. meaning in most states you cant even get it registered to be street legal.

ez-- dont be afraid of mods. and most mods dont add value to a bike, unless they are high end performance mods. even then, they are only worth about 1/2 or less of what they cost new. bike stands and gear ppl always toss in the asking price to justify a higher asking price. when i sold my former bike (a 1997 honda cbr 600 F3 with 6500 origional miles), i sold it for 1200.00 more than what i paid for it. i put about 500.00 total into it (maitinence and a slip-on exhaust). but the reason i got so much more than i paid for it, was i presented it well. that, and it looked like a brand new bike. im an auto detailer, so that bike was always fresh and shiney. and the fact the guy was a total squid, helped me get my FULL asking price. too bad he dropped it after buying it (test riding it in my parking lot). and the 1st thing he asked me was how to ride 2up with his g/f on back. i told him he dont ride his g/f on back, he should leave her with me for a year untill he knows how to ride, then pick her back up. he looked puzzled, and didnt care for that comment. oh, and he left with the bike wearing a bicycle helmet, not motorcycle helmet. and returned wiht his g/f on back with same helmet to pick up his truck.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DemonRR
that, and most race bikes have a cod/salvage/non repairable title. meaning in most states you cant even get it registered to be street legal.

ya I forgot about that.. thats true

Quote:
Originally posted by DemonRR

ez-- dont be afraid of mods. and most mods dont add value to a bike, unless they are high end performance mods. even then, they are only worth about 1/2 or less of what they cost new. bike stands and gear ppl always toss in the asking price to justify a higher asking price. when i sold my former bike (a 1997 honda cbr 600 F3 with 6500 origional miles), i sold it for 1200.00 more than what i paid for it. i put about 500.00 total into it (maitinence and a slip-on exhaust). but the reason i got so much more than i paid for it, was i presented it well. that, and it looked like a brand new bike. im an auto detailer, so that bike was always fresh and shiney. and the fact the guy was a total squid, helped me get my FULL asking price. too bad he dropped it after buying it (test riding it in my parking lot). and the 1st thing he asked me was how to ride 2up with his g/f on back. i told him he dont ride his g/f on back, he should leave her with me for a year untill he knows how to ride, then pick her back up. he looked puzzled, and didnt care for that comment. oh, and he left with the bike wearing a bicycle helmet, not motorcycle helmet. and returned wiht his g/f on back with same helmet to pick up his truck.
ROFLMAO!!!!!! LOL!
The reason I'm afraid of mods is because I'm not so sure if they were properly installed, beneficial. I dont wanna die because some goober did a bad install
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

^^
then you should be able to thoroughly look over the bike and see if the mods were infact installed properly or were half assed installed. how much experience do you have working on bikes, cars, ect? i didnt know how to do jack on a bike, but know my way around a car. they are about the same as far as working/modding them. buy a service manual and have at it. i installed a bunch of stuff last winter. many weekends spent tearing into my bike, installing mods, putting it back together. then to tear it apart again to do more stuff. now i dont need a manual to work o a bike. they all have the same basic principals as far as working on them.

Redline Superbike Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM

yea, I would buy, for race purposes only though.

thanks for the article, i have been wanting a 'all purpose' race bike. and i do have a motorcross bike that i dont ride.

but i think i will hold off, because you can learn more on dirt, and there is no road track close enough to austin
============
but EZ how new are you to motorcycles, if im not mistaken . . . this will be your first. If I were you (and I was, the begining of this year) try to get a bike for under 3 grand, so you can buy some gear too. ride it, trash it, crash it; move to bigger & better

I trashed my $2,800 ZX-6R in three months (and got a handsome insurance lawsuit) But I am very LUCKY for everything I have today. I kinda wish everyone new experianced a motorcycle like I have. Get a beater, survive a bad crash, get $$$ & learn your lesson ahead of time; I was lucky though.

Last edited by ochoa0042; 01-13-2008 at 05:22 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:34 PM

i never did look at the bike earlier.

i would actually offer about 3500-3700+ for this bike. buying it for purposes of only a track bike, it has some excellent suspension and motor work to make it well worth the price.

but like ochoa0042 said above, get a beater and then get gear!!! imo, gear is almost important as the bike.

Redline Superbike Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode