MPG differences - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

MPG differences

What is the difference in MPG from the 600 to the 750 to the 1000?

The only thing that is keeping me from getting a 1000 is me being scared of MPG.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Dad

Ridden right you can get any of them, even the EX-500, down in the low thirties or even the twenties.

It's mostly how you ride it, push it. If mileage is what you're after an EX-500 will get up in the upper fifties, some claim even 60, but can also get down around thirty flat if continually wrung out. Most 600 and up can get somewhere around 45. Busa's actually do quite well if just cruised on the highway. Apparently they are at an efficient RPM and are slippery through the air. It's largely how you use it once past a 500.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I bet we could get a 600 down around 15

Ok... I understand we have 6 gears (which is AWESOME)
I'm used to my Automatic 4 in my camaro.

I'm mostly wondering about what the MPG is during stop-n-go traffic. (from a 600 to a 1000)

I'm sure the MPG is awesome up in 6th gear cruising.

Guess I should stop being a pussy and get a 750 or 1000.

thanks

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by ezrollin
Guess I should stop being a pussy and get a 750 or 1000.
Not if you're not an experienced rider. Get the 500 or maybe the SV 650 twin or Kawasaki 650 twin and grow into it. Riding a bike is ALL about acquired skills and NOTHING about macho, balls, or not being a pussy.

Really, it's true. They work best with relaxed riders finessing them down the road or around the track, not ham fisted macho riders muscling them around. The fastest riders are the coolest and smoothest, guiding the bike under complete, relaxed control. Something that's acquired with study and practice. Big bikes hurt untrained riders all of the time. Get the smaller bike and learn to ride it well. Fast will happen all by itself when ridden well. Yes, the 500's are fast too... when ridden well.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Get a 600.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

My thread has NOTHING to do about rider skill. It has EVERYTHING to do with MPG.

You misunderstood. I meant to say it like this: "I should stop being a tight-wad pussy and not worry about what the MPG is"

There, thats better
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ezrollin
My thread has NOTHING to do about rider skill. It has EVERYTHING to do with MPG.

You misunderstood. I meant to say it like this: "I should stop being a tight-wad pussy and not worry about what the MPG is"

There, thats better
true this thread is about mpg but on this site we do care about the people that come on here and to ask how much experance you have will also help up direct you to the rite bike.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
ive got a modded 2004 cbr 100rr with a custom map. it has a 4.8gal tank (0.8 gal reserve), and get about 115 miles before my fuel light comes on. i then have about 20 miles or less before i run dry.

mpg-- figure out the math. but estimated around 25-30 (if that).

before, i only had race filters and arata s/o and using a general pc3 map. id get about 150-160 before the light would come on.

i run a 55 series rear tire (50 is stock), but i also went up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket to comensate for the 5 rear tire. so gearing should be comparable to stock.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

ew, thats aweful
I didnt think tuning would change your MPG that bad unless it was bad tuning.

I have HpTuners software and really wish they would make it for bikes so I could tune em.

I guess I'll go for a 750 then cause I want something I can cruise around alot.
thanks
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM

EZ, I've read that you havnt got much riding experience on the street, rode a little 4 years ago in the dirt and don't have much savey when it comes to bikes. MPG could be important if you were going long distance touring but on a sport bike it's going to vary like others have said. I rode a Honda 1100 XX around town and across country and averaged 40MPG, my Suzuki DR 200 will get 60, my Yamaha 750 gets 35-38 around town and I don't even bother with MPG at the track. If your going to heavy hand the throttle like you did your friends R1 , don't expect good mileage. I realy don't think you'll find much difference between the 600-1000 class in MPG. The next question is , what are you going to do with your bike and what is going to be it's main function? If MPG is all that important, get a scooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode