turns - leaning - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

turns - leaning

Some guy told us to lean away from the turn and push the bike down in the direction of the turn. Is this correct? Is it safe?

I see Everyone else lean into the turns.

Please educate me
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:26 PM

You want to lean into the turns, unless they are very slow speed. However, you can and need to counter steer to lean you bike, which involves pushing on the inside bar, which sounds like it should turn the wheel the wrong way, but in fact leans the bike the correct way.

You from abilene? Have you met the AHBA crowd?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

no, I sure havent. Who are they?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ezrollin
no, I sure havent. Who are they?
One of the local bike groups, the least squidly if you ask me. I used to ride with them pretty often also not as much anymore. They meet infront of hastings, saturday mornings around 10am, when the weather is nice

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Thumbs up leaning

Hey, your bike at speed wants to go straight. at speed, you better not try to turn the front wheel or youll see pavement. the wheels sort of act like gyro's ,wanting to keep you up and straight. to turn at speed, gentle pressure on the apex side of the bars will turn you that direction, gentle couter steering, or pushing on the up bar will bring you back up. most turns just require you to stay inline with the bike, it'll do the rest of the work. we think moving around a lot will help but we just screw things up. at high speed cornering, leaning is imprtant to maintain the center of gravity so that more pressure can be excerted on the apex or down side bar to enable the bike to turn tighter. for now, when you apply pressure to turn, bend your arm at the elbow. this will lower your body to the inside or downside of the turn. your body should go to the down side to flow with the bike through the turn. get some trackday instruction to sharpin your turning skills. good riding
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 PM

Obviously you have not taken the MSF Course for it is a MUST for some one interest in possibly riding for they do teach the basics which can mean a lot in this crazy world of trying to stay upright & safe on a m/c with just two wheels they have to balance.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Yikes! The only time I ever lean against a turn is when making a very tight U turn doing less than 5mph.

At normal speeds you really don't have to worry about leaning into the turn, just stay centered on top of the bike and worry about being smooth with the throttle and your steering inputs.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
Yikes! The only time I ever lean against a turn is when making a very tight U turn doing less than 5mph.
Me too, except yesterday. Because of my radial master cylinder, the brake lever hits the fairing stay bracket when the steering goes near full left. I sortof forgot about this yesterday when I was riding around a puddle in my parking lot so the lever hit the bracket, applied the brake, and down I went.. straight into the puddle I was trying to avoid in the first place. Oops. Frame sliders took all the brunt; no damage to anything else. That afternoon I decided to finish my brake project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode