newb Gear selections - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy newb Gear selections

Hi,
I'm a complete newb and havent ridden a street bike.
I've ridden a dirt bike like 4 years ago.

I'm trying to learn how to change gears before I go physically try it.

When upshifting to a higher gear do I have to press the clutch in?
What about for low rpm/low speeds? What about for High rpms?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Yes, use the clutch. once you get good enough, the RPM's will barely go down when you shift.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM

You really should get back out in the dirt for awhile and then take an MSF before considering a streetbike.

Just my opinion..

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
Shouldnt that be"

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand- LEFT foot-left hand-right hand"

I mean.. left foot IS the gear foot correct????
thanks

Last edited by ezrollin; 01-03-2008 at 01:23 PM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Correct.
Right hand - Front brake
Right foot - Rear brake
Left hand - Clutch
Left foot - Gear selector
Ass - Seat Gripper

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 PM

That reminds me of a question for some of the people that have been riding for awhile. How long has it taken you to get really proficient with shifting and bliping?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
That reminds me of a question for some of the people that have been riding for awhile. How long has it taken you to get really proficient with shifting and bliping?
Shifting? A couple of weeks. I had shifting down before I figured out how to countersteer. But I could drive a stick before hand too.

As for blipping the throttle, that had to wait untill I got my first sportbike. Never had the need to do that on a standard. But after locking up the rear on a downshift I had that skill figured out pretty quickly

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM

Learned from necessity, yeah. I don't have a problem with either its just I'm not totally flawless at it. Some days its not a problem and others my gear changes get a little rough. I have a Factory Pro Evo Star shift kit to install this weekend which will hopefully clean up some things and I might try out a GP-style shift arrangement later on.

That brings up another question... knowing how to ride a bike, how hard would it be to learn how to drive a manual car? I assume the majority of the learning is simply translating the process into a different set of controls.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:07 PM

Take the MSF Course & your problems will be over with plus you use one of their smaller bikes under the guidence of the instructors.

The MSF Course teaches you the BASICS in m/c riding & possibly survival though when your are up against crazy cage drivers then riding is chancing your life. Up to you, but rather then learn it all the hard way back in '46 (though the first few months were in '45 & in t he bush just a house lot away from my own) --------well I am still riding.

Just think no internet to ask such questions or sort of guidence, to no books/mags on m/cing & no parents or relatives or peers that road m/cs ----all on my own & done in the hard way.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 PM

shifting is pretty easy once youre doing it hands on. My MSF instructor gave me the instructions one time and I nailed it the first try.

Now,,,,, being proficient with it takes a while. You have to learn your bike, how it sounds or feels. Then its a matter or experience before the shifting becomes automatic.

Upshifting is no big deal at all. You disengage the clutch while rolling off the throttle, then upshift, then start reengaging the clutch while trying to get the rps at the right amount. And there you go. You shifted gears.

Downshifting can get pretty tricky at times because you have to factor in the appropriate gear you want the bike on vs the speed vs the rpms. If you end up on the wrong gear as you downshift you might lock up the tires. Same thing about speed, if youre going to fast for that gear you went down on, theres a chance of locking the tire up. As far as the rpms are concerned, if you apply too much or too little gas after you downshift, the bike might lunge forward or back a little bit. But like I said, its all about getting to know your bike, how it sounds and how it feels.

for the other riders. When I want to get a fast take off, do I want get the bike on the powerband while I'm on 1st gear, or shift to 2nd gears as quickly as possible then try to hit the powerband. Because it seems like, anything <5k rpms on 1st gear dont do jack, and when you do hit the pb on 1st the front wheel keeps wanting to lift up. So it better to get to 2nd gear as soon as you can then try to get to the pd, gain speed, then keep shifting up?

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode