Trying to figure out what to buy - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Question Trying to figure out what to buy

Well i'm trying to decide what kind of bike i should get. I heard taller people need a bigger bike so i was looking at the GSX-R1000, but would a 750 do well or is it not big enough? i'm 6'4" and i was told the 600 wouldn't be big enough for me. Would the 1000 be to much bike though for a first time ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 AM

Well, a Hayabusa is pretty big and comfortable, but then so is a ZX-14.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but you have obviously not read any of the new rider stickies or you wouldn't be asking this question. A 1000 is not really physically bigger than a 600 anymore, and a 600 is too much for a beginner. Anyone who has told you that a 600 is not big enough is either trying to sell you a bike or is completely clueless. A used Ninja 500 is perfect for you to start on. Go back and read the stickies.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mkeeney
Well, a Hayabusa is pretty big and comfortable, but then so is a ZX-14.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but you have obviously not read any of the new rider stickies or you wouldn't be asking this question. A 1000 is not really physically bigger than a 600 anymore, and a 600 is too much for a beginner. Anyone who has told you that a 600 is not big enough is either trying to sell you a bike or is completely clueless. A used Ninja 500 is perfect for you to start on. Go back and read the stickies.
+1

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 AM

YES mkeeny is right from start to finish. I have three sportbikes (these sportbikes are not ideal for beginners & really only experienced riders) in my garage. A '97 Yamaha YZR600R which is just prior to the Yamaha R6 with its peaky engine & no pulling power at the lower revs WHICH one needs when learinging. Also a '00 Honda 929 & '03 Honda 954.

Actually the Yamaha mentioned has the most riding room to even a few inches more in saddle height plus it only has 80hp with is to much for one to learn on. The two Honda bikes have 150 to 155HP & extreme lean forward riding positions------this is a maze of power on said t wo bike.

What mkeeny suggested was one of the two most sensible bikes of 500cc parallel twins of around 50hp coming from both Suzuki & Kawasiki BOTH within pennies of eadh other for cost, both with regular riding positions, both with regular handlebars & not lean forward clip-ons nor do they have rear-sets that put your feet a bit below your butt when widing. ALSO these have decent torque are the lower revs.

If you think these are guttless to some of the 100 to 180hp bikes do note that they are faster then most of the cages when the Red light goes to Green & can scoot you up to around 90 or 100mph.

As mckeeny suggested that you go to the stickies along with go to back pages on this to other boards. Believe me if you got onto a board aimed at beginners they you would find all of them suggesting a 250cc not matter what your height or build is. At least on this one mckeeny & some of us are suggesting something more sensible.

My days of learning were on what I could get right after WWII being 25hp Indian & 25hp HD to a change to British bikes of 15 to 27hp being 350cc to 500cc like Triumph, BSA, Ariel, Royal Enfield & such. Of interest in the late 40s the bike all dreamed of having was the costly 1000cc Vincent HRD that had 49hp & it you waited a year & had the money you might get a Vincent Black Shadow at all of 54hp. Yet note the Suzy or Kwacker 500cc bikes we are suggesting are around 50 to 52 HP!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM

I'd say ride the shit out of a scooter...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM

I recommend the Boss Hoss. I hear they're very roomy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bosshossrad.jpg (68.9 KB, 38 views)

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Here we go again.

Click here first

Then here.

Then search here for questions

Click HERE to answer ALL questions.

Last edited by ZX6R1033; 01-01-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode