I Did It!!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I Did It!!!!!!!

Well as some of you know already I finally bought my first bike on Tuesday and it has been none stop rain since. I picked up a used 2004 R6 Red/black and I love the thing!
Today I didn't have to work and the streets were dry so I took her out for a little test drive. Being my very first time on a street bike and only the 2nd or 3rd time ever on any motorized bike I went up and down my street and only made it to about 30-35mph, But I enjoyed it so much I can't even explian it.
I practiced on my shifting which was pretty easy and I even learned to flip a u-turn on our small street without putting a foot down(I found 2nd was easier to do this in than jerky first gear-is that normal?)
Anyway I'll be going out a few more times today to enjoy my new bike I just wanted to share the excitment with you guys.

BTW Of course I had all my gear on and didn't try anything stupid.

Safety first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:13 PM

sounds fun, im getting my first bike sometime in june!! i cant wait for that exitement. im also looking at an R6 possibly. did you get it new?

good job on the bike and keep having fun riding safe!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:51 PM

First gear will become less jerky as you build your throttle control.

Just a reminder that your horse power will build insainly fast as you hit the powerband, so watchout for that and practice knowing your rpm by sound/vibration alone, don't rely on the tach to tell you that you are getting into the power.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 02:45 PM

Darn good when you start to get the feel of riding & actually injoying it. With decent weather you can be clocking longer & longer said hours that will mean so much to you especially when it comes to things becomming normal or automatic without having to think of the next move.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM

good for you!

keep it on residential or parkit lot speed until you get the clutch + throttle control down pat. Practice turns. I found that a making a 90 degree turn from a full stop can be pretty challenging first few time. Its good to practice this one cause its a practical skill! Also try shifting to about 4th gear but keep the speed below 40mph then make a stop, dowshifting as you go. Practicing multiple downshifting is a good thing so by the time you start riding in traffic, you wont have to figure it out on the spot. Also wear full gear. You might get temped thinking "i'm only going slow, so I dont think I need my jacket", thats a big no no ... I know I did!

also, like what sexieWASD said, pay attention to the bike on how it sounds or feels. You can tell a lot about how youre progressing buy paying attention to these. You have to listen to her

anyways good luck! be safe!

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Well here it is...

Aint it beautiful?

Ya I'm going to keep it slow until I feel comfy with stoping fast and I need to practice the take off. I've been just letting the clutch out and it starts going and then I feed it some fuel. I am getting real good at turns I was doing slow figure eights in the culdesac at the end of my street, just getting the feeling of flowing with the bike vs. fighting with it.

I can't wait to get my permit so I can venture further from my house on all the backroads around here.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to get my permit so I can venture further from my house on all the backroads around here.
Lemme be the first (likely to be of many) to suggest the MSF course.

--

But I'm drooling in jealousy, tis so pretty!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

The MSF course is the first thing I am going to do come summer. I am going to put in a lil time so I don't look like a fool and then take the course when the weather is better.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5dirty
The MSF course is the first thing I am going to do come summer. I am going to put in a lil time so I don't look like a fool and then take the course when the weather is better.
Good deal! I'll be taking it myself this coming spring ASAP (have a different job now, so I'll be able to have the time for it finally!!!). Congrats, and it goes without saying, but do take care.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Re: I Did It!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 5dirty
...first bike...R6...Safety first
At the risk of sounding like I'm bashing you, those three ^ do not go together...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode