Headlight Problem on my Rf600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Problem on my Rf600

Well i really didnt now were to post this but i figured sence this bike is my daily driver i should post it here, i was going on a drive and i come to a stop light so i stopped and i saw white smoke come out of the handle bar area, so i pulled over got off the bike and looked and i didnt see anything, so i took it home and let it set for a little while, when i went to go for a quick ride the headlights and tail lights wouldnt come on and i smelt the smell of somthing burning, it smells like wires to me, and i can get the headlights and tail lights to work they come on when i give it gas, or rev it up, but from my experience this is not how they are suppost to work when i turn the key to on right before i push the start button the lights should be on right then i shouldnt have to give the bike any gas or rev it up to get the headlights and the tail lights to work, so i put it in the shop and havnt heard back from then sence, its been there sence last friday, there was a pretty long wait time for my bike to get in the shop know im itching to get it back, What would cause it to melt some wires together wrong sized bulb or fuse? Short some where in the wiring?

Im sorry if i seemed to go on and on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 AM

Holy shit, you have the same birthday as me. 21 on the 21st

Not a super uncommon problem. I've heard of people mending their headlight switches with wire and electrical tape to keep it together after sortof melting a bit, which might have happened to yours. Installing a bulb that draws more power than the original could put more load on the wiring than it was intended for which may cause some stuff to melt in some circumstances, like sockets and switches and things. More likely, something probably just got wet and caused a quasi-short circuit melting the electrics causing the problems you had. The fuse would've blown if it was a true pants-off short circuit.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 AM

Ditto. If you changed bulbs recently, you might have put one in there that draws more current than the system can handle. But on an older bike, I'm guessing the problem is corrosion around some contacts shorting out the system. I'd start with taking the switch apart and cleaning everything, and if thats not it, just go over the wiring system untill you find the spot with all the crusty crap. Clean that up and you should be good to go.

One more thing, inspect the wiring carefully, since you smelled burned insulation. If a wire looks burned, replace it, otherwise its just going to short out later.

If you know how to use a multimeter, it will make finding a short a much quicker job.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I got it back from the shop today, it was in the shop for like 5 days but it only took 30mins to fix the problem, the end of the wire that connects to the bulb it self melted, they found on upstairs and replaced it, it only costed me 34 bucks, so i went out and bought a new pair of shoes lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode