Need some help fast! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Need some help fast!

Alright so just when i thought i've done everything i need to get my F4i ready to sell, something else pops up!

I've been having problems with the battery keeping it's charge for about a month now. Leave the bike off but in the on position for over 2-3 minutes and it needs a push start. But yesterday the battery just completely gave out...barely any charge left and i can't ever push start it! So i replaced the battery last night because i have to show the bike this weekend, but when i lifted out the old one the black wire going into the positive terminal just broke off...

I think that it was already sliced somehow, but my problem is i can't find where this wire even came from! If i could find the other end i could use a butt connector to fix the problem and it would be fine. Any ideas at all where this wire came from?? I'm starting to think it came out of a fuse but i wouldn't know which one...

I'm supposed to show the bike tomorrow and sunday so please give me all the advice you can! I can't take it into the local shop cuz i don't have a way to trailer it.

Last edited by FloridaMx5; 12-14-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM

It's the negative wire, connected to the frame. It most likely broke off at it's connection at the frame. Is that a bolt connector I see on the other end of that wire?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 01:04 PM

+1, ground goes to the frame. And you might want to save your old battery, its probably just fine.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I could swear it came from the positive side....and i'm not talking about the main red and black cables, a seperate 3rd wire. Assuming this is the ground what would be the best way to take care of this? I only have about 4 inches of wire to work with right now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 PM

I knew there was a reason that I took "Auto Electrical" this semester... If the black wire came from the positive side, I don't know.... but as mentioned, if it came from the negative (which it should if it's black) then find a place on the frame.

If the wire was on the positive side and ran to ground, it might have been draining the battery constantly... but that wouldn't explain it only draining while "on".

You can run to ground on any ground, whether it be the frame or another cable running to ground (probably a better idea to go to the frame though). Don't run the positive straight to ground.... not a good idea. I don't know why the battery would go to a fuse... if so, it'd probably be in the fusebox, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they put an inline-fuse in there. Anyhoo, I'd just check and make sure the battery is good, hook it up (making sure to get the positive and negative connected right) and check fuses.

I'm thinking it's a fuse or loose connection, especially if it wouldn't roll start... hopefully it's nothing worse. Good luck with it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 AM

As long as your wiring is factory, black wires should always be ground, and can be connected to any ground. You can connect it to the big black wire that goes to the battery if its convinient.

dfens: why wouldnt the battery go to a fuse box?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode