Getting dad on two wheels - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Getting dad on two wheels

Ok, so my dad was never a big fan of the whole two-wheel thing, but after seeing me ride for a year+, he is thinking about taking it up. I told him I would even take the MSF course again with him. As far as him getting a bike, I don't even know where to start. He is about 6'4 and 190LBs, he doesn't like cruisers but I'm not sure of a good sportbike that he could ride comfortably that doesn't have alot of power, somewhere in the 250-500cc range. Comfort over speed all day. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
My dad is about the same size. If he's willing to go for a dualsport, the BMW F650GS is pretty managable as a single cylinder 650. The bugger will SCREAM at highway speeds, but it will do them. It is very forgiving, and is decently-sized. Even with a 34" inseam I couldn't even flat-foot on it.

Last edited by saturntangerine; 12-09-2007 at 08:00 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM

a nice sports touring bike would suit your dad good as well. VFR 800 are nice and pretty cheap compared to BMW versions. SV650 is also a good starter bike while its more of a sports bike, it's a very relaxing position and comfortable.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM

Start him out on a 'used' beginner of 250cc & shortly after switch to a 500cc parallel twin by Suzy or Kwacker, OR to one of the better 650cc twins like the Suzy SV-650 or Kwacker.
------------------------
My father was 55 yrs of age, with background of several heart-attacks forcing him to retire. Fortunately he loved to monkey around with things & even had his own metal working hobby shop (that means metal cutting lathe, drill press, bandsaw, jig saw, grinder & such). Often when working on a bike at home he would read the info on the bike I was rebuilding to even help me, in that "third hand" way.

I was finishing rebuilding from a replacement crank, brgs, pistons & up, Velocette LE which was a guttless 175cc flat opposed SV twin, with shaft drive, S/A rear end suspension, liquid cooled, hand-start, 3-speed hand shift, alloy wheels-----they were designed during WWII for people right after the war where cages were costly, not avaliable, fuel rationing & such. Aimed at the UKs better then a scooter for women or men. Richard, on this board, will know of them.

So my Dad said "Do you think I could ride the LE?"----I looked at him knowing he had never riden a m/c, but remember during the depression years both my Mom & Dad road bicycles as the '28 Studebaker coup sat on blocks & that he was 5'2" & probably 125 lbs when he got out of the shower.

Said "I cannot see why not, but it needs to be topped up" & was putting some tools away then saying "let me get it down gravel driveway" (after all our home was on the lower side of Tunnel Mtn in Banff, Alberta---yes beautiful view over town of Banff Nat Park). To my shock there he was working his way down to be on the gravel driveway, stopped & waved as he wobbled off.

Okay now I am worried with him in oxfords, slacks, shirt & his normal glasses---no gloves (habit of mine) only some 20 minutes later he comes back telling me the bike was great, he had topped of the petrol tank & asking me if I could install a small-narrow windscreen. Suddenly it was his bike for riding around in Banff National Park of Alberta.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-08-2007 at 10:37 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Suddenly it was his bike for riding around in Banff National Park of Alberta.
Thats a beautiful park. Gotta love the hot springs too

Last edited by Meat_Shield; 12-11-2007 at 05:00 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I can't let him get the VFR800, he'll never get to ride it Thanks for all the great help though guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode