bad day - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

bad day

So I pretty much and a very eventful day. 8am class, project was due at 11am, and then I went out to lunch. That's when all hell broke loose. For some odd reason, the brakes decided to fail on my Acura when I was rolling through an intersection. It went completely dead.

I pulled over and find that my entire right side brake pads fell out after the caliper seized up. I mean it was just caliper touching the rotor. Got it home, but realized that the caliper worn through the rotor, which I expected.

I had to get back to school, so I fixed up the RR asap, geared up for cold weather, and headed back to school. Half way there, the engine died on the highway. I'm thinking "oh crap, ran out of gas again" as I don't have my HUD on the bike currently. I pushed my bike up hill 1 mile to the nearest gas station of which I had to traverse a no shouldered long ass bridge down the small 2 ft medium.

When I get there, if filled up the tank only to realize it filled up to 3.5 gal instead of 4.6 max of the fuel tank. That's when I figured out it wasn't gas, I was low on it, but it should have still ran. Well apparently, the high revs jiggled a couple of the wiring harness connectors loose and led to the engine cut off. Good thing my bike is naked...

Pretty much the whole delays ended up wasting 3 hours of which I could have used for my two labs and paper that was due earlier. Oh wellz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Yeah.. I know how that is. My elderly car turns 11 years old this week and has over 185,000 miles on it and just as many problems. On a good day. At least I can park it in a garage, keeping my bike company. For many of us its also finals week which I should be studying for but the material covered in class doesn't exist on the internet so I have to go through my notebook instead which I use for more than one class so its complicated.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I drive a fairly new 2003 Acura TL. Love the thing to death. First thing that went wrong on it so far.

Yeah, school is pretty hellish right now with exams next week. Just finally figured out my next semester's school schedule and I'm taking all online classes. Probably going to the UK for my job. While I'm over there, I'll take some moto pics too.

Up in the air right now, but I'm sure I can work my magic. My co-worker over there covers British Motor Sports races.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 PM

That's a good car, I'm surprised it had such a big problem. I guess seized brake pistons can happen in anything really. Since my car is pretty much shot I'm looking into a new Honda CR-V myself, something that can tow a couple bikes and carry a bunch of gear and people. Don't know how well my car will tow my bike next season.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Phew, not going to cost too much money to fix it. Thank god on that. New brakes, rotors and caliper come in around $100.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
Phew, not going to cost too much money to fix it. Thank god on that. New brakes, rotors and caliper come in around $100.
That is a STEAL for someone else to do it. Pads alone go for $50, rotors for $30ea, and calipers for something like $30ea (reman'd).

Is the dealer doing this? Something just seems odd about that number....

EDIT: On the finals studying, good luck guys! I taught a class session this past semester at a higher ed institution near me and made it clear exam questions would NOT come from slides, but instead from lecture and discussion.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM

ya on the way back from pueblo, co (about a 100 mile trip) i got caught in traffic in colorado springs cause of an accident to find out that the wire that lets my fan run had wiggled loose so here i am on a 4 lane hiway watching the temp get higher and higher, so finally i got over to the shoulder and had to wait for it to cool down. the shoulder was closed due to construction so i had to drive a bit then pull over and wait then drive a bit more, finally got to an exit and took side streets till i got around traffic. it was a pain in my ass.

Mines nacked as well...so much easier to mess with wiring this way
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
That is a STEAL for someone else to do it. Pads alone go for $50, rotors for $30ea, and calipers for something like $30ea (reman'd).

Is the dealer doing this? Something just seems odd about that number....
Please... I hate stealerships. Did the work myself with my Dad. replaced one rotor so far, but the 2nd one isn't in yet, but only one was damaged anyhow. Need to bleed the brake system, actually need to flush it out as it looks like it needs changing. Going to do a bunch of other maintenance stuff since it needs it now...

Instead of working on school work last night, we worked on the car, which is more important.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM

I changed out the front brakes on my car a couple months ago, it actually wasn't so bad. Cost about $80 including new rotors and pads and the stuff that doesn't make everything squeak. Remember to put never cease on some of the contact points so everything comes off again. A couple years ago I decided to change the warped front rotors which have never been done before. They had over 160,000 miles on them and good lord did they give up a fight. They were essentially fused to the wheel hub with years of salt and rust. After heating with a blow torch and smacking them with a large mallet they finally came off, mostly in one piece. The cheapo $15/ea replacement rotors seem to last for a year or two... they practically come warped right out of the box.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 PM

So it is Dec 29th at 1:15am & so I drive my '06 Subaru 'Forester' down, getout at the Post Office & walking around the corner but what the 'ell I am spread out on the sidewalk. The pain is obviously the worst.

Now had someone asked me why I was laying down, the would be to say I had slipped & yes it hurt like 'ell, but in this once little town of friendly people NO on asked.

The chore was to get on all fours with MORE pain, to actually stand was a bit of a feat I think----still staggred in like the town drunk to collect my mail & in staggering out it was even worse, but got into my cage to drive it home.

Getting out told me this was not a possible bruised part & it was a feat to pivot on the left foot (of the ex-broken hip in Dec 2nd '87) to then try to flag down an ambulance.

A nurse of Penticon hospital did just that. So it was a boken hip which they operated on at 11:00pm & here I am at home, since I was booteded, out on 3:00pm & on the PC for the last 1.25minutes to get out a few messages PLUS realizing my electric heater has flunked so will not warm my legs. Bummer.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-06-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode