First Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

First Bike

Well im in the market for my first sport bike.. i am 19 5-10 and 140... have about 5000 cash to work with..... want newer bike low maintance good to learn on but not get tired of.... thanks for any input

spencer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Here you go, Ninja 250R. Your local dealer should have a display one in February. Its $3500 brand new so spend the other $1500 on gear that makes you look sexy and some insurance.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

i know that is a light bike but how quick is that bike

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:50 PM

Who cares? Its quicker than most cars from a standstill and quick enough to get you into lots of trouble. Just the way I like it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

what do ull think bout a used r6

Last edited by goinsouth123; 12-02-2007 at 05:56 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Meh... Do you have any riding experience, even in the dirt? That's a lot of bike to start on. My F4i was my first bike and I really enjoyed learning on it; I think its a really easy bike to ride. Was... now its a miniature race bike and not quite as friendly anymore.

Get out to a dealer and take a look at some of these 600cc sportsters and see if that's really what you want to be on. Some people really want one then get scared of it when they have 100+ hp betwixt the legs.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

yea iv always had 4 wheelers have a 400ex now...... also had a couple of dirt bikes when i younger ... im not ruleing out a smaller bike.....

Last edited by goinsouth123; 12-02-2007 at 06:28 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Your best bet is a Suzuki SV-650. A great "beginner" bike that you won't get tired of for a long time and fits right within your budget. (used)

Another even cheaper alternative would be a Ninja 500R. That even fits into your budget for a new one.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 AM

At 140lbs you are actually really light so you will go very fast on almost anything.

The reason people recommend the 250r is these reasons:

- It makes learning easier (it still isn't that easy) and much more fun.

- The bike is light enough to learn the basic skills very well.

- It has an extremely high resale value. People often buy a used 250r and can make money when they resell it. This may change with the 2008, definitely get the 2008 because of the killer styling.

If you really want to have a lot more power than you can handle as a beginner, the 650r or SV650 is good choice like others mentioned.

The reasons they don't recommend SuperSports are the following:

- These are bikes made for people with many years riding experience. They have touchy clutches, much more torque, worse low-speed maneuvarability. A simple novice error made in shifting and throttle can kill you very quickly on one of these things.

- They are very expensive to repair and beginner's always drop the bikes. So you are pretty much guaranteed to lose quite a lot of money by purchasing and learning on a very expensive bike.

- New, young riders, on SuperSports tend to die a lot on them. A young, new rider on a SuperSport is the highest possible motorcycle risk category. This roughly means you will have a 5% chance of dying and a 25% chance of injury requiring hospitalization in your first year learning on one.

So ... it's really up to you.

Smartest Choice (Most Fun/Lowest Risk):
Go with an easier to control bike, take MSF, get all the right gear, and take your first year SLOW until you build up perfect skills, control, balance, traction understanding, cornering/center of mass management, and most importantly traffic awareness.

Highest Risk: Be a new rider, hop on a SuperSport, and run out into traffic.

Last edited by packtec; 12-03-2007 at 02:28 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 AM

You forgot the killer insurance with a RR.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode