Track only 2 5.41%
Track and Street 14 37.84%
Street only 6 16.22%
Street with plans of a track day in the future 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Leaving the streets behind

What's up with everybody ditching the streets to ride on the track? I've heard that track days are a blast but it seems like more folks prefer track than street.........at least that's the vibe I'm getting from some of the regulars. I imagine it can be kind of a hassle getting to and from the tracks.

Also how expensive is it between bike maintenance and track fees?

One more noob question. What's the best and worst parts of track days to those that go?

Last edited by streetbreed22; 11-30-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Strength and Honor

I attended my first track school (different than a track day) this past summer. We trailered the bikes there because of the distance and the issue that if one of us crashed, we'd have no way to get it back home to repair it.

Possible extra costs for going to the track:
Lodging
Trailer
Attendance fees
Travel expenses (gas and food to get to the track)
Gear

Things avoided by being track-only:
Insurance
State registration fees
Street risks (cars, animals, road hazards)
Theft (reduced risk)

Benefits lost by being track-only:
Better gas mileage
Riding nearly daily

I'm sure there are more, but I'm sick and my head isn't operating correctly.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM

I've gone completely track only. I can safely say that I have more fun in one day on the track than in 6 months on the street. I love not holding back, not looking longingly through a perfect curve, while following a slow moving car. I love knowing that if I crash, someone will be there to help me in a few seconds. If I'm hurt, they take care of everything. If I'm shaken up, I can walk it off and let them pick up my bike for me. I love that people say "Wow, I am impressed that you can do that!" rather than "You hooligans are endangering people!"

Sportbikes were designed for the track. On the street, they are a waste. I may get another street bike eventually, but it will be a street bike (standard) not a sportbike.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 AM

+1 to everyone. The street is a poor immitation of the track expirience. If you can afford it, the track is the way to go.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Hmmm.... for the Tee:

1. Street riding is more fun that driving.

2. Flying is more fun than street riding.

3. Track riding is more fun than flying.

4. Aerobatic flying is more fun than track riding.

I ride for two reasons, number one is out of practicality, since I can negotiate traffic a lot better on a bike than I can in a car, and number two is to sublimate my desire to pull high G's in an airplane that I only have access to maybe once every couple months.

Even though I ride about 20,000 miles a year, I do very little riding for the hell of it. I try to have fun along the way, taking the occasional mountain road and tearing it up as I get from point A to point B.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Kevlar,Vash, and Mr.T all have it wright.
What a blast.
But for me the nearest track is 9 hr. So I dont get to track it as much as I would like.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 PM

This thread sux with out photos

So I will start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40601my1sttrackday62507011.jpg (26.3 KB, 136 views)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:43 AM

I too thought about dropping street riding. I'm fortunate to live an hour from Mid-Ohio which is one phenomenal track and ever since my track day there a couple months ago the street just doesn't seem fun anymore. It seems dangerous, restricted, and busy. I've thought of riding track only but I enjoy my bike too much to only ride it a few times a year. The only street riding I do is to school and through some planned local routes in the country which help me relax and forget about the world for a little while. I'm not interested in long trips or group rides anymore and definitely not interested in going way over the speed limit through the local twisties anymore. So I guess I'm relatively stubborn now.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 PM

I no longer ride on the street. I just converted to track only for two reason. It's fun as hell and a lot safer. Well three... No Cops!

The only problem now is that I have almost no time to ride. Did one track day and that convinced me to do track only. I learned more those few hours than the past 3 years of riding. Just imagine what you could learn with riding a whole season. Most of the time, track days (not the schools) will have have instructors there helping you out just like a school so take a track day or two, then do a school.

Get's a bit expensive and it's really a lifestyle. Try getting a friend or two to go with you so you can split the costs a bit.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 AM

i do all my riding on the street, only because it is to far for me to get to a track to ride and the only places to ride are the streets, granted we have alot of back twisties here in central maine and i do use the bike to commute during the spring, summer and fall but for me to take it to the track is about 4 hour 1 way and no way to trailer it there.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode