2008 ninja 250R? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

2008 ninja 250R?

this would be my first bike. I'm lookin around on these forums and all I see is

" I'm getin this bike for my wife/ my girlfriend would love that bike!"

and then you see," it looks a LOT better now, I'd get one for commute!"

I think it looks really good...

what are some thoughts here? I'm not just " a poser that wants a cool bike" I'm lookin at this cause it's aparantly a good choice for begginers...but serioiusly...am I gonna get laughed off the street?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM

I think its a great looking bike and a great starter bike. I guess there is/will be a 500cc version which is even better. Speaking of cool starter bikes, I came across a CBR 125R by accident yesterday after never seeing one before; apparently its sold in Canada but not the US. Cool little bike! I wouldn't mind having one just for fun.

A real rider wouldn't laugh at you for starting on one of these bikes.. if someone does then they can go to hell since they're obviously more interested in showing off than riding.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Yeah it's certainly more of a looker now. Sliders are more essential than ever with the new face lift it's received. I'd certainly shed a tear if I was learning on that and then dropped it. That 125 is just as sexy as the lil Yamaha 125.

Last edited by streetbreed22; 11-15-2007 at 05:23 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM

ya i think that 125 is the sharpest bike i've seen until you get to the 600's. That 250 is nice too. no1 will laugh at you. being out there on 2 wheels is all most other riders care about.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 2008 ninja 250R?

Quote:
Originally posted by parsons2469
this would be my first bike. I'm lookin around on these forums and all I see is

" I'm getin this bike for my wife/ my girlfriend would love that bike!"

and then you see," it looks a LOT better now, I'd get one for commute!"

I think it looks really good...

what are some thoughts here? I'm not just " a poser that wants a cool bike" I'm lookin at this cause it's aparantly a good choice for begginers...but serioiusly...am I gonna get laughed off the street?
Excellent choice! And it really is a looker. My helmet/hat is off to you for making a commendable choice for a first bike

Try to pay it off or get ahead quick. With a good bike and a good set of tires, you will learn very quickly and be ready to move up in a few years.

Best mods to start out with: Classes and suspension.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 PM

^^ I second that.

I have a buddy who wants to get a 2008 600RR next year as his first bike. Never even been on a bike before. He may finance it... which is doubly disastrous.

The MSF course is a great place to start if you haven't taken it already. Later on getting into a novice-class track day is phenomenal. There's slow and fast novices so don't feel intimidated with your bike/skills; I heard a track instructor once had a student that never went over 38 MPH the whole day. Personally, I went to Mid-O with a fast bike to learn my skills and I came out making the tires peel and turn blue and the engine bounce off the rev limiter by the end of the day. Now I'm working on Ohlins suspension front and rear with some trick work on the front. Can't wait to finish it up and try it out next season.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 PM

No one will say anything to you. The only people who *might* are...

1) Squids

2) People too chicken to ride at all

In both cases, their opinions aren't worth a grain of salt. The biggest issue with the 250R before was the look, not so much the size. And the look, with 2008, has improved greatly. Good looking bike, imo.

Once you get out on the road, you'll realize that the "biker community" really does only care that you ride. Not the size or look.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
[IMG]A real rider wouldn't laugh at you for starting on one of these bikes.. if someone does then they can go to hell since they're obviously more interested in showing off than riding.
Its true. I find riders and bikes that aren't in the mainstream more interesting b/c there's just no difference among them. Its also an easy way to avoid posers right off.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 AM

If you do a few track days, you should be considerably faster than newer riders with 600's. Its easier to learn on a slower bike that isnt scraring you. You spend your time perfecting your skill, while other riders are still trying to maintain their concentration and keep their bike in check.
And that would be a victory to savor!

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I was kinda worried about gettin the same crap miata guys get for drivin a "girl car". good it dosnt really carry over

would be a real reality check for a "600 guy" to get beat by me tho. kinda hard to talk their way outa that one haha

heck the bike's is only 300 pounds and I'm a lean 5.10 160 so that might help even more

really though, I did the streetracing thing, and it just isnt worth it, especially on a motorcycle. it's fun, but not somthin I'd risk my future for

almost seems unfair to get a bike that looks THAT good, with 70mpg, and it has to be a LOT more fun than the "beater car" youd get for the same price

I'll be gettin the 08 at the end of january, definatly somthing to work forward to. black sets it off I think

so a squid isn't the same thing as someone new...it's the retarded ones that buy a bike they cant handle? the loud mouth punks of the motorcycle world? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawasakininja250r-9346-003-f.jpg (88.6 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by parsons2469; 11-16-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode