A question for fellow mechanics - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
A question for fellow mechanics

I always have been working on my own bikes, and am fully capable of any repairs. but since i would consider my self still a new owner of a GSXR (full fairing'd liquid cooled, fuel injected) i got my self the suzuki factory service manual. i like to follow the book to the point. Ive already done oil changes and had no problems since it is only and oil and filter change, but one thing that bugs me is in the service manual instructions for oil filter install, it says

" NOTE:
* To properly tighten oil filter , use the special tool, NEVER tighten the oil filter by hand"

i dont own the suzuki tool to do this and have just been hand tighting mine like any other spin on type oil filter. what the deal with suzuki all about the special tool?

Last edited by Xx954HxCafexX; 11-12-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 PM

thats just to scare people. So you can take it back to the dealer and they can use there oil fitler wrench on it. "special tool"

Some of it is a big marketing scheam. use a k and n filter simply becuase it has a nut on the end.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Sounds like a scare to me too. Anytime I've ever changed the oil on either my bike or a car, I just tighten it down myself and have never had a problem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 AM

just a scam, if you read the directions on the side of the filter it probly says hand tighten.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 AM

I ALWAYS hand tighten filters. I've never had a problem with filters coming loose on my gsxr in the last 40,000 miles.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM

"Yes, my engine blew up is this covered by warranty?"

"Depends, has the dealer performed all the neccesary maintenance?"

"No, but I have, and I got the records to prove it"

"You changed your own oil?"

"Yes"

"Did you use the special oil filter tool?"

"Ermm..."

"I'm sorry sir, by not using the special tool you have voided you warranty, thank you for shopping suzuki, we hope to see you again. Real soon"

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Since it's in the factory service manual, it's not targeted toward the owner but the service tech working at Suzuki. My guess is that it's there to be sure the service techs get the filter tight enough not to leak oil. That keeps oil in the engine and keeps the engine from locking up, which Suzuki would have to replace.

I suppose they could try Vash's argument if you ever had an engine problem, but it wouldn't hold up in court and they'd end up replacing the engine. If you perform the proper maintenance and your engine blows up, there will be a specific cause, like a failed oil pump, which will be easy to show regardless of what method you use to change your oil or even whether you have proof that you did change it.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 AM

When you go back to some of us old farts that were working on m/cs in the late 40s believe me most of us did not have special tools or even torque wrenches, yet sometimes then & now you have to take a good tool to grind away part of it so it will get in to do the job. Then you place it in these "special tools" container to possibly use it again a few times, but then ten yrs down the road it will never be used again.

You should have seen all the British m/c tools I sold for a nothing price plus something like 40 lbs or more of new Brit nuts & bolts for I knew Cdn was into the metric business back in July of '77 & I would only be riding or working on bikes with metric threads, yet forgot to include the taps & dies of British to some other special tools for Brit bikes still tucked away here & there.

In talking to & dealing with some of the Brit head 'Factory' m/c people they did it so often on that BSA m/c or whatever, that they never needed a torque wrench. Possibly why Brit m/cs also leaked oil, but if you went back to the late 40s in using a Burman cogbox one packed GREASE into it & not oil till some yrs later of when SAE 90 was used & a few yrs later just the same viscosity as the bike itself being SAE 60. Now so much better because of superior seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode