Anyone ever break a helmet? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Anyone ever break a helmet?

I have an old Bieffe Helmet that Iím not using anymore. So I decided to try and break it. I went outside and slammed it into the concrete as hard as I could about 10 times. The shield broke off, as did a few pieces of plastic down around the jaw. And eventually the interior foam shell cracked. Iím not sure when it broke, but it cracked from about the forehead to the top of the skull (assuming it was a head). I even tried to break it from all angles. Eventually I got tired and gave up. I know one thing after the experiment, I feel that my head would be extremely safe during any kind of daily crash.

It was kind of funny. I would take the helmet in both hands, raise it up, and slam it down as hard as possible. The helmet would just bounce straight up about 4-5 feet into the air.

Just thought Iíd share.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I've seen a helmet after a head-on collision with a truck.

Held up better than you'd expect, but it really didn't matter.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

You can still die from a brain injury even when the helmet survives. the worst impact isn't from your head hitting the ground, but from your brain hitting the inside wall of your skull, it can swell and suffocate it's self. but anyway that hard outside shell helps keep you from having a disfigured head after 30 feet of abrasion.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
ah this reminds me of a write up in a magazine of some helmets being to hard.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM

I rolled one around with a 12 gauge and some pistols, it didnt hold up very well
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Re: Anyone ever break a helmet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
I have an old Bieffe Helmet that Iím not using anymore. So I decided to try and break it. I went outside and slammed it into the concrete as hard as I could about 10 times. ....

Sexually frustrated there Tippy?

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 PM

Unhappy I tryed!

This is the best I could do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hjc cl-15 well werth $135.jpg (49.4 KB, 124 views)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM

I have three helmets on a shelf in a storage room, along with another seven out in the garage on a shelf as well. Said 11 are way out of date to even a few being open face helmets used in dirt comp.

If I go to replace one of my main two helmets, then the one to be replaced sort of pushes the list. One has to be garbaged so I hack off the straps & take a 5 lb sledge hammer to mess up the one to go in the garbage for I do not want some-one to see said helmet & think it will be fine for his brother or his g/f or such. So far none have broken under the sledge-hammer.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 AM

a few years ago when i had a pretty bad accident on a bike i was wearing a bieffe helmet and when i hit the pavement with enough force to blow the shield off the helmet and was able to survive with no head injuryes, acually the only real injury was my hand was severly crushed, got to love gear. I was inpressed with how well that helmet held up in the crash, it did save my life. so i would say bieffe passed the crash test.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Strength and Honor

I don't suppose when the helmet bounced it caught you off guard the first time

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode