Factory Pro Ignition Rotor, for CBR F4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Factory Pro Ignition Rotor, for CBR F4

Hello everyone on this board!

I own Honda CBR 600 F4, year 1999. I saw on FactoryPro website "Ignition Advance Rotor" - what performance improvements can be expected with this rotors? How can i know which rotor to buy ( + - degrees...). I don't care much about low end power however i would like to see some high revs improvement. How hard is it to install? Do i have to do any other modifications, like rejetting the carbs...? I never rode any other bike and i am not sure is my bike too twitchy on and off throttle, is there any way to smoothen this? So far i have installed full yoshimura exhaust, k&n filter and dynojet kit, and i am now looking for cheap mods to extract some extra power in high rpms. Any ideas, suggestions?

Please excuse my bad English

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 AM

I just looked at the exact same thing for my bike earlier today. Apparently on the F4i it advances the ignition +4 degrees which supposedly makes it.. better/faster? I haven't been able to find much info on it but I'm interested in getting one myself. Factory Pro also has some sort of transmission part which makes shifting smoother and easier. I'd be interested in that as well if anyone has some info on it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:30 AM

But careful though - European spec bikes may have different timing advances - that product is intended for US spec bikes. I'd try to compare the published timing advance with that of a US bike. If you have access to a service manual for your specific bike, you should be able to look it up from there. Maybe someone from here could do likewise.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ignition timing ("F" mark) - 10 BTDC at idle
This is only thing i found about ignition timing in service manual...i don't know is it telling anything...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM

10 degrees BTDC is a pretty hefty idle advance so I don't know but I'm guessing your bike has fixed timing, and no mechanical advance. If that's the case, and a US spec bike has the same timing, then the two are equal. If a US spec bike is running a 6 degree BTDC timing, then you're already there and don't need (and wouldn't want) the aftermarket rotor with a 4 degree advance.

It's common for manufacturers to vary the timing on the same model for different countries due to differences in available gas octane.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 PM

You'll have to put it on a dyno to get the exact numbers, but advancing the ignition generates more power if you run higher octane fuel. However, you are risking pre ignition, which is bad for your engine

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Here's the timing for a US '01-'03 F4i:

Ignition timing ("F" mark) - 13 BTDC at idle
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM

You would think the euro version would have more advance than mine. In my case, I reckon the +4 degrees would be for racing with super high octane fuel; not for a street bike.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:19 PM

I think that sounds about right.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

How high octane gas should i run then? I use 95 octane for everyday riding, there is 98 octane availaible for some extra price, and at track i have 100 octane gas.

What is the worst thing that can happen? I don't want to blow my engine for a poni or two. It has about 40000 problem-free miles and i don't want to ruin that
Dyno test is unavailaible here (it is far and expensive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode