Trade? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: Should I trade my bike?
Trade+cash. 1 5.56%
Keep mine. 4 22.22%
Buy the other bike. 9 50.00%
Sell both bikes, move to the mountains, become a hermit. 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Trade?

Alright, as most of you know, my good friend trashed my bike a little while back. While its mostly back together, I somewhat lost my enthusaism. I've been spending most of my free time climbing, and winter is coming on and blah blah blah. So this guy I ride with calls me, and tells me he has this '05 gixxer6, that he got for his wife, and she doesnt ride it. He wants to trade for my 10, since he heard me wishing for a 600 a few times. "Come by", he says "Pick it up, ride it, take it apart, see exactly what you are getting. Keep it for a few weeks". So far, here is what I know about it.

'05 gixxer 600
+2500 miles
-crashed early in its careeer, re bough to become a stunt bike that wasnt ridden much (I know the guy who very seldom stunted it), than resold again to be this chicks bike that never rode it. hmm...
-The dealership says one of the forks is bent. I cant tell by looking or riding it, but the owner says it headshakes on landing a wheelie. So I might need new forks. I'm going to take the wheel off and spin the tubes inside of each other to check for rough spots. anyone know any other ways of checking?
+comes with a spare set of calipers (???) a set of wheels (so I can keep racing slicks on one set, and sport touring on the other!) a shit load of odd ball parts.
-Has no mirrors or blinkers.
-Second degree road rash on about 1/4" of the body. will pass a 20' test, or 10' if the lighting isnt perfect.
+Got a yoshi slip on
-Tires need changing.
-one of the pieces that holds the brake rotor to the hub on the front wheel is bent, like it cought something sliding and bent one of the spokes. The brakes dont pulse, in fact, they work great.
?The bike feels geared up, but niether owner I know changed the geering. Its awfully peppy for a 600.

Meanwhile I got
'05 zx10
-15,000 miles
-hot bodies race skins, that I'm honestly not too crazy about (poor fit and finish) will pass the 10' rule, 5 is the light isnt perfect. Got new paint thats kind of cool. I'll get pictures of both bikes later.
+ohlins valves in front forks
+FI cage
+scotts dampner
+2ct towers which rock, and have plenty of life
-brakes still have issues, I think I got oil on the pads ($50 for new)
-Odd ball rigged headlights, tail lights. Not bad looking, and they work, but not stock.

So far, I love the 600. My options are
1. Trade the guy my bike, ask for repairs+2-3K?
2. Keep my bike.
3. Just buy the other bike. I think he'll take $2500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Never rode a ZX-10, but I can tell you that I absolutely love my '05 GSX-R600. It's got plenty of power and feels like a dream in the corners. I doubt you'll be disappointed. However, having wrecked it and had to replace some plastics, parts ain't cheap, unless you get lucky and find the plastics on EBay.

If it was me, I'd buy the 600 and have a dedicated track bike (probably the ZX-10).

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM

i say buy the other bike if you got the cash. if your into the twisties.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 PM

I was sorta in a similar situation for awhile looking for a more aggressive track and street bike on the elcheapo with some stuff broken. It usually ended up costing too much to repair the bikes I was interested in and selling mine was something I didn't want to be bothered with. I couldn't afford to keep two bikes so I decided to do some upgrading to mine instead; mega front brakes, suspension front and back, some user interface stuff, etc, to make it more like the RR I wanted. But if you've got the cash, keep both bikes. You could always sell one later if you're indecisive which you like better.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Thats a tough one. I really hate the idea of anyone trading a Kawasaki for a Suzuki though so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion.

I know a few people who have 05 gixxers as track bikes and they really like them. But the 10...man the 05 10 is just an absolute weapon IMO.

I'd keep the 10 and buy the gixxer outright for a track whore if the fork is straight.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Its hermit time my friend.

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM

the 05 zx10 is a great bike one of the very few of kawi's that I like, didn't that bike win bike of the year?

What do you do with your bike street or track mostly or both?
keep the 10 for the street and the get the 6 for the track.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

The 10 won those honors in '04, and remained unchanged for '05. But the new k5 came out in '05 and was crowned king.

I had a chance to put the gixxer thru the paces, and here are my impressions so far. Its a blast to ride. Really, its tons of fun. It has a ton of potential as well, but also has its fair share of problems.

Huge exhaust leak
Fork is definetly bent. At speed, its easier to turn right that it is to turn left. (Which worked out well, since my lefts are better than my rights).
Strangely enough, all the flickability kinda tapers off with speed. At 100 or so, its about as easy/hard to turn as my 10 is.
One or both of the rotors are warped. I'm going to measure them both today to be sure.
Steering head feels loose.
One of the pegs is rotated from stock position. Instead of folding up, if folds back. So it tries to fold sometimes when you are hanging off in a corner. Uncomfortable feeling to say the least.
The sprockets are showing more wear than I would expect for 2500 miles, the teeth are starting to look hooked. Perhaps it has more miles on it than its showing. It definetly doesnt feel new. Everything is very loose feeling.
The tires are absolute crap. The rear is a race take off, that has been sitting in on someones shelf since '03. Not only has it been heat cycled out, but its also showing sun damage. Even when hot, its hard as hell. On the 10, this would have been a highside waiting to happen, however on the 6 its managable.
The suspension is set for someone at least 50lbs heavier than me. Not nearly enough sag. Every bump tries to catapult me into the air.
Still, even with all these problems, I was able to get it to go pretty quick. Its easy to ride, not as combative as the 10, and is not nearly as critical of body position.
In other words, it needs a good deal of attention, but with an extra $1-$2k it could be a very capable track bike.

My main interest is for the track, but I'd like to have a street legal bike, if for no other reason than to save gas. The 10 is much more track ready than the 6. Also, I will probably use one of them as a learner bike. I dont know which one will end up being my street bike if I get this one, probably the one thats cheaper to insure.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Strength and Honor

Unlike others I'm on the trade+cash wagon. Keep the overall costs cheap by cutting insurance costs and picking up a bike that has many more units on the market and thus a larger share of used parts floating around. Esp as track weapons. Fix the bitch to your liking and ignore the brake issue on the 10.

EDIT: The extra set of wheels will be very sweet for handling both street and track and is something I wish I had funds for.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:05 PM

its more fun to pass litre bikes on 600 bikes at the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode