Haha, funny Sheriffs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Haha, funny Sheriffs

I covered a rifle team at my college and they were practicing at a large indoor firearms range, which happens to be where local sheriffs and swat team shoot as well. Well I was talking with a few of the sheriffs and the facility is located right on a really twisty road, which is 5 mins from my house and I used to ride it a lot.

I told them the story about how a local sheriff pulled me right there for "speeding in a curve", which I was going 55 in a 55 zone, in a 20mph curve and the only excuse for taking the curve hard was that "it was a curve...". Funny enough, one of the three guys I was talking to, was one of the guys that pulled me over that day. Haha, talk about coincidence.

He even remembered my "warning, handicapped rider does wheelies" sticker I made for it a while back. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 AM

hahaha...so did they give you a ticket or just a warning? was he cool about it or did he just blow you off?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 AM

I remember an RCMP Constable was about to give me a speeding ticket & commented that he was following at a bit over the speed limit, & was going to let it go, onlo to find that at the end of two bends I was moving much faster. That was back in the early 80s & when I pointed out to him that any m/c rider goes into a turn or series of turns slow & comes out of them faster.

Nothing funny there for I got the speeding ticket & off went the Constable still not knowing the difference between driving a cage or riding a m/c.

Also if you had one of the first '80 Yamaha RD-350LC bikes then you to would have been riding like me as the 350 screamer was so much fun to ride.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-09-2007 at 09:48 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

no warning as I debated him about me being legally in the clear. When he pulled me over, he also asked me if the bike was "safe" to ride. This was when it was in the street fighter mode after deals gap wreck. I told him that nothing is for certain. Now that I think about it, I'm full of wisdom... probably stuff that rubbed off from smitty....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 AM

Gee I do apologize Baz. LOL
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
jab

haha, funny. Speaking of deals gap I was in N. carolina all week with no bike!!! . I wasnt far from the gap, god I want to ride that stretch. Someday!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 AM

I want to ride it too, i even live here......
Someday I'll be on it!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

way too insane. It's becoming a problem of too many riders and drivers on that road. When I was there, there were 6 accidents the day when I wrecked.

Ambulance drivers there are crazier than me. I've never seen one drifted till that day... I bet they were once formula1 drivers at one point in their life cause they gotz skillz.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Before I got my bike, we would hike Gregory Bald mountain which is smack dab in the middle of that run.

It's a 20-mile fairly strenuous 2-3 night hike up to a bald that blooms all over with fire azaleas in June. The azaleas are unique to the mountain and it is the only place in the world they grow - it's pretty impressive.

Anyway, driving in and out of there in a cage is absolutely crazy. I've seen wrecks every single time.

I'm wilderness medical certified and we were actually the first responder on a dual cruiser wreck with some 50-something people. One bike just bought it on the turn and another rammed into the bike taking out the next one. They were very lucky ... people saw it happen and ran around the blind corner and halted traffic before they got run over. A good scream, some crying, right out of a movie. Some blood, shaken up passenger woman, and an old guy totally laid out bragging about how it was his 5th wreck he had survived. I stayed with them until the ambulance was on the way. No one wearing full facial helmets as far as I could tell ... extremely lucky people who shouldn't have been there in my opinion.

And that was just the wreck, I would say in just driving half the dragon on that day we saw 10 other "holy sh!t" I can't believe that guy didn't wreck ... and to get to 20-mile campsite, you only have to drive half the dragon!

Deal's Gap is really dangerous now, not just because of the 600+ curves but because of how busy it is and the incredible variance in vehicles and speeds on it. It's not just the curves but you have to dodge large trucks, vacationers going into the smokeys, cruiser packs, super sports, and total noobs.

For those planning to go, go at first light early in the morning. The early mornings seem to have the least traffic. Take it *REALLLLLY* slow your first time. The Dragon is more of a calculus problem for sport bikes than a "twisty ride". There is very high variance in the turn patterns and some parts require extremely complex cornering skills and angles.

On the Dragon do not be egged on by your friends to try and keep up under any circumstances. It's always the 2nd guy trying to keep up with his buddy that wrecks.

Anytime 11am-7pm and you are just asking to turn into roadkill.

Most of the turns you only have maybe 100 feet before a 90+ degree turn and the speeds people go is way excessive and there is really slow moving caged traffic and motorcycles going in chains in every possible speed. If you go there when it's busy, you will be passing slow vacationer cars crossing double-yellow into hard to navigate turns with cliffs and rocks on both sides driving head-on into oncoming vehicles where you get a less than 2 second visibility on them before you either wreck or are run over.

One of my hiking buddies got his bike too and we were talking about when we will be ready to motorcycle in to 20-mile in the middle of the Dragon and hike from there and we were both like ... uhhh ... maybe never.

Last edited by packtec; 11-22-2007 at 06:15 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by packtec
Deal's Gap is really dangerous now, not just because of the 600+ curves but because of how busy it is and the incredible variance in vehicles and speeds on it.

Actually the gap is only 318 turns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode