Tail gaters - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Tail gaters

On my way into work this morning, I jumped into the carpool lane, only to see it was "clogged", by what looked to be cruiser. I went up to see what was going on, and maybe get out in front. It seemed the guy directly behind him was tail gating him by about by 4-5 feet (no joke)! I saw the rider look behind him to gauge his cushion periodically.

What did I do? I got in front of the cager to make some room for the cruiser. Then the guy started tail gating me! I gestured the guy to back off. It took about 5-10 seconds for his carpool to realize that he may be driving too close and finally backed off.

I did give him the thumbs up... positive reinforcement ya know. That's how I trained my dogs...

...zats a good boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Re: Tail gaters

Quote:
Originally posted by DaDuck748
..... That's how I trained my dogs...

...zats a good boy! [/B]
If they were bad, did you swat them with a rolled up newspaper? The cager I mean.

I had that happen a few times, I usually tap the brake lever so the light comes on, after a a few the get it and back off.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Tail gaters

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
If they were bad, did you swat them with a rolled up newspaper? The cager I mean.
No. I would have given him a cookie... the cager I mean.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Bar being hit from behind it is the tailgaters I hate the worst. To the RCMP "tailgating" ends up being a fine though they cannot be there all the time. The socalized B.C. Insurance firm in its daily advertising ads is continually saying of how dangerous tailgating is, BUT that is not stopping them.

Basically I live in a small town & try to avoid going to cities, but what bugs me is often in a city & stopped behind a few cages, due to a Red Stop-light I will note the cages on the other lane have stopped, but 90% of them, with their automatic trannies, keep on nugging ahead to where their front bumper is or just about is up against that of the cage before them. To a m/cist that can mean the rider can loose their balance.

I TRY to put out my hand, to the tailgater, that they are to close, but you do not know the mind of said drivers & that can aggrivate them even more. After all at said stop light I will stop a cage length or be more be I riding a m/c or my cage.

Above all it is nothing to joke about especially if you are a fellow m/c rider.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Out here in VA hitting the break lights just so they Come on doesn't do jack shit. what I have done wich I proalby shouldn't do is well on the 6 anyway click down 3 times. Grab a good amount of break not to much, Then a friendly one figure wave while wacking open the throatle that ususally gets them to back off.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tail gaters

Quote:
Originally posted by DaDuck748
...I would have given him a cookie...
You called?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Strength and Honor

When it occurs at slow speeds I've often thought, "If I wanted to get a new bike, I'd hit my brakes and let him slam into me." But the risk of being actually run over by the cage seems a bit much.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
When it occurs at slow speeds I've often thought, "If I wanted to get a new bike, I'd hit my brakes and let him slam into me." But the risk of being actually run over by the cage seems a bit much.
Hmm... I have been going to the Kawasaki dealer ship, looking at a 2007 ZX6R, lately.

Damn it, Kanwisch... giving me ideas!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch

I moved into a condo community that used European style round abouts instead of speed bumps. Of course no one seemed to know how to negotiate them and those that did were too damn lazy to go around the correct way. So after the third time of almost being hit, I thought maybe I would let it happen, sue them and the association since they had no signs or arrows anywhere. But, logic forced me back to the realization that I didn't want the bike messed up or to be hurt too bad.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Quote:
Originally posted by tentorium
I moved into a condo community that used European style round abouts instead of speed bumps. Of course no one seemed to know how to negotiate them and those that did were too damn lazy to go around the correct way. So after the third time of almost being hit, I thought maybe I would let it happen, sue them and the association since they had no signs or arrows anywhere. But, logic forced me back to the realization that I didn't want the bike messed up or to be hurt too bad.
Damn that inner voice.... or in DaDucks case voiceS

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode