Florida rider down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Unhappy Florida rider down

Quote:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A walk-on defensive back for the Florida Gators was killed early Friday when the motorcycle he was driving hit a median at a high rate of speed, police said.

Michael Guilford, a 19-year-old redshirt freshman from Quincy, was not wearing a helmet. Neither was passenger Ashley Slonina, a Florida junior from Lynn Haven who also died in the crash.

The two were riding a 1998 silver Kawasaki motorcycle when it struck a median near campus around 1 a.m., police spokesman Lt. Keith Kameg said. Kameg said officers estimated the motorcycle was traveling 25 to 30 mph over the speed limit.

Police were awaiting autopsy and toxicology reports and investigating a report that the students had been at a gathering at a nearby apartment complex before the crash, Kameg said.

Crisis counselors were available to meet with students who knew Guilford and Slonina.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing of Michael Guilford," coach Urban Meyer said in a statement. "He was an outstanding, quality young man that was loved, respected and admired by all of us. His unselfish efforts on helping his teammates getting ready to play every week were only a glimpse of the person he was.

Guilford, nicknamed "Sunshine" because his long blonde hair resembled that of Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass in the football movie "Remember the Titans," was named one of the scout team players of the week following Florida's win over Mississippi earlier this season.

Guilford also mimicked Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith during preparation for the Bowl Championship Series national title game in January.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Why can't people just wear a helmet and use their heads? Not trying to rude, I mean I am sorry that him and his passenger lost their life, but c'mon, where is the gear?

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Re: Florida rider down

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Why can't people just wear a helmet and use their heads? Not trying to rude, I mean I am sorry that him and his passenger lost their life, but c'mon, where is the gear?
Exactly. I'm sure their respective families and friends are happy they looked cool riding without helmets.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM

It's unfortunate that these people died so early in life. Anything can happen at any time. Can you imagine what you would say to a young ladies' family after she had died while riding with you? Please y'all, ride easy when you have a passenger.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 PM

a good thing to stress rundog. riding with a passenger is something i and everyone should take seriously. their life is in your hands. definitly just out for a sunday stroll when im 2up.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 PM

That really sucks. I've got 12 helmets at home, 2 for every member of my family of 5, and 2 extras that get abused with the latest paint test. Not to mention all my kids have a new Riding jacket and boots sitting in the closet for them to outgrow every year, even if they never wear them more than once, at least they are as safe as can be when riding with me.

Gear is MANDATORY with me, and for good reason!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Guess I'll be the heartless bastard. Darwinism at its finest.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
i really dont see how they come to this conclusion. "i play football with a helmet when 250 lb guys running 10 mph are trying to tackle me, however, helmets on a bike are not necessary when 2500 lb SUVs traveling 50 mph are able to hit me"

i feel bad, even as an FSU student, but seriously, how does a guy that deals with contact everyday not want to wear a helmet on a bike. i doubt he still feels invincible after walking on to UF's football team. tell me he hasnt ever taken a hard hit, or seen guys get knocked out and injured from football. how did he not figure into a car hitting him and hurting him or him flying off and hitting the ground at 30. and then, even after all of us feeling bad and re-realizing how dangerous this is, insurrance companies have another statistic in their books to justify charging us more.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter

Last edited by conrice; 10-16-2007 at 04:40 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by conrice
i really dont see how they come to this conclusion. "i play football with a helmet when 250 lb guys running 10 mph are trying to tackle me, however, helmets on a bike are not necessary when 2500 lb SUVs traveling 50 mph are able to hit me"

i feel bad, even as an FSU student, but seriously, how does a guy that deals with contact everyday not want to wear a helmet on a bike. i doubt he still feels invincible after walking on to UF's football team. tell me he hasnt ever taken a hard hit, or seen guys get knocked out and injured from football. how did he not figure into a car hitting him and hurting him. and then, even after all of us feeling bad and re-realizing how dangerous this is, insurrance companies have another statistic in their books to justify charging us more.
These very same questions I asked of Rothlesberger's wisdom. I *hate* him and I'm a big Steelers fan!

On the subject of lids I'm certainly in the "always wear it" camp. When I saw this reference posted elsewhere I was taken back by the statistics about injuries and folks wearing helmets. I had fully expected to see fewer serious injuries among those with lids and yet the data doesn't seem to indicate that. I haven't had much time to put into evaluating how the data might be misconstrued so it'd be interesting to see if anyone else had a take to explain away the apparent statistical disagreement with the conept that "lids reduce injury".

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
These very same questions I asked of Rothlesberger's wisdom. I *hate* him and I'm a big Steelers fan!

On the subject of lids I'm certainly in the "always wear it" camp. When I saw this reference posted elsewhere I was taken back by the statistics about injuries and folks wearing helmets. I had fully expected to see fewer serious injuries among those with lids and yet the data doesn't seem to indicate that. I haven't had much time to put into evaluating how the data might be misconstrued so it'd be interesting to see if anyone else had a take to explain away the apparent statistical disagreement with the conept that "lids reduce injury".

well, what constitutes a helmet? i see of lot of skull caps in Florida and i dont consider that a helmet at all. i realize that there are many more ways to die on a motorcycle than head trama, however, when i take my head, and hit the wall without a helmet, it hurts a lot more than when i do with a helmet. and when i see some of the chunks that come out of wrecked helmets in pics, im glad its the outter shell and not the guy's cranium.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:20 AM

Re: Florida rider down

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
I went to school at U.F. and I'm pretty sure it was an off football weekend that weekend.

There is only one activity available in Gainesville on Friday nights for students, and especially football players (if off football weekends) ... drinking.

So, I pretty much guarantee he was drinking, driving home from the bars, and probably trashed by that time.

Speeding + Drinking + No Helmets
= Squished Kid (Squid)

Motorcycling is all about managing risks. Each extra risk you take increases your likelihood of dying.

A couple bad choices and it isn't that hard to get to a "10% chance of death on this ride" ...

... that means, if you do it 10 times, it's pretty much 100% you are going to die. Luck may be with you the other 9 times ... but one of the times it won't be.

You can't ever get it down to 0%, but with common sense, you can keep the chance pretty low, like 0.001% chance of death per trip.

The upside is that, if you follow all MSF and other recommendations, it is more likely you will be killed as a Pedestrian than on a bike.

I bought my bike in the wake of this story ... so I sat down to crunch the numbers.

For him, it was like 10% chance of death doing what he was doing.

If you follow all procedures/safety stuff, are well-trained on your bike and take proper evasion/swerving, breaking actions during a problem ...

The number I came up with is that you have a 0.02% chance of dying per 10,000 miles you ride on a bike and about a 1% chance of injury per 10,000 miles.

Bare in mind ... that is only if you do everything right, wear gear, take proper actions, etc.

For every bad decision you make, that percent chance of death increases very quickly. For most riders, who don't follow the safety rules, don't get training/etc, a 5% chance of death per 10,000 miles and 35% chance of injury is pretty reasonable given the data that's available right now.

Translation ... if you don't follow the safety guidelines, there is a 100% that you are going to the hospital within 30,000 miles on your bike, and a fair chance they will pass the O.R. and just drop you off in the morgue.

Last edited by packtec; 11-21-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode