Is winter here? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Is winter here?

I'm tempted to winterize the bike but when I did that last year, a sudden week of nice weather showed up. Anybody in the upper Midwest already doing this? Where's the global warming that's supposed to be extending my riding season?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
We set a record high for this time of year somewhere in the 90's a few days ago. What more do you want?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM

i wont winterize my bike. its never to cold to ride as long as there isnt any snow and ice. I like to see the cages faces when im out there and its like 20F outside.

People say I have the power because I have the monkey's....not true....I have the power because I'll let the monkey's loose!
- Kids in the Hall

If your going through hell...keep going.
- Winston Churchill

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 AM

I rode to work today. I'll probably ride two or three times next week. I normally ride to work at least once or twice a week through winter.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 AM

In a way it is here in this part of the Okanagan Valley of B.C. Cdn. This has been the first & probably the only day I would be able to hike it up into the hills, but one worry is some of the roads cutting between the saddle of some mtns are shadowed all the time & if it rain (which it has been doing for the past three weeks) t hen I could be up against deadly BLACK ICE.

So winterized the bike just this morning. Besides the insurance has run out on one two weeks ago while the other two are good only to the 15th of this month.

It has been a strange year like cold winter, darn cold & long Spring to where Summer was a bit cold to suddenly on with a bang of hot weather & did not cool down for Autumn weather, but just went cold with rain on & off with lots of wind storms.

I know my trees around me & especially the Varigated Maple in my front yard for it is the FIRST to start to dump all its leaves in Autumn only less then 10% have come off. Others I know say the same about trees they are accustom to. Even some of my Chrysanthemum flowers are just starting to flower. Which can be normal undeer normal Autumn weather which it is not.

Still I usually get a lovely Autumn riding time & then on comes November with its cold. Not this screwed up year.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Yeah, all the sudden its not 90 degrees anymore. I probably won't take the bike if its <50 out since I'll just freeze instantly, but I'll give going to class a try.

I fired up my fireplace for the first time yesterday and thought 'that's when you know its getting cold out'. My problem is that I've got a lot of bike projects to do this winter and my unattached garage will be freezing. If I could, I would park my bike in my living room for the winter. That would be so awesome I would sleep on it

Light speed too slow? Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... ludicrous speed!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Manager of a large grocery store has bought himself a new HD 1200cc & said to me, the other day. Is it true that one has a trickle come out of an eye when they winterize their bike? Said it was so if not worse for I am in tears. He said is was not that bad, but when I said it was three bikes I had to winterize & he knows my history or riding to milage I cover each year & then we laughed over what we were yattering about.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:42 AM

Start running Seafoam or Stabile when uncertain of next ride, prepare top up container and ride till stop and ocassional warm break. Treated top up doubles for snow blower.

walter
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 AM

Realistically, is there anything else you should do aside from mixing Stabil in the fuel? My bike will be sitting until April/May so should I go further? There may be a nice 70 degree day in January like a couple years ago, so maybe I'll bring it out once or twice. I think last Christmas it was nice enough that I was considering mowing the lawn.

Light speed too slow? Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... ludicrous speed!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Honestly that is all you need do, besides putting a Battery Tender to it while in the bike, or remove the battery to take in into a cooler part of the home & use the trickle charger on it every once in a while as you check.

If you had a warm spell with no snow, then you can trott around town or to another town, but watch out for fallen leaves that end up like grease AND your insurance covers the m/c plus LP is valid. After all you can always put in a fuel stabalizer & top the petrol tank again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode