Casting off a tailgater - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Casting off a tailgater

Had a little experience about a week ago with a tailgater that was entertaining enough to share.

There are a pair of curves, 15mph posted, that are fun to take on the bike at a much greater speed. The two are separated by about 100-200'.

As I approached them this particular day there was a car ahead of me some distance so I slowed to the posted speed limit (30?) to let them get further ahead so I could have my way with the curves. Well, a silver Grand Am came up behind me and was antsy to get going so he thought it'd be fun to get really close to my rear. I was annoyed but focused on having my fun.

About 100' from the curve I sped up quite a bit and to my surprise, so did the Grand Am. I momentarily thought, "What's this guy doing?" but quickly got focused on the first curve. Getting into the right entry point and prepping my body with a left lean I whipped around the corner at something approaching 40 or 50. Weeee, what fun. I glanced in my rear view to see the Grand Am sitting sideways off the road right at the curve. I guess he decided tailgating me was more important than actually getting through the curve

Suffice it to say I didn't stop to help and he never did show up anywhere in my rear view mirror again.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Thumbs up

I love it!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM

Have had a few of the same & it is nice to know they spun out or have ended up in the ditch.

In all cases I knew the terrain overly well so hitting into a series of twisties & hitting them a fast but well contolled speed basically a cage drive is not prepared for it & if they try sometimes things go wrong for them.

I would always felt pretty smug, but for most of the day I would ride at a bit slower pace then usual, because that was still going in my mind & I did not want to end up pranging myself.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-08-2007 at 10:55 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM

I love idiots in cages that don't understand, or realize, that motorcycle lean and therefore can carry much more speed into a turn. Where we lean into the centrifugal force. Cars can't do that, they lean with the force and they get to go for an off road trip if they aren't careful, like the asshole attached to your ass that day.

Put a smile on my face.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:57 AM

That's funny! That's EXACTLY what happened to me about three months ago on Highway 128 from 101 to the PCH (very winding road.) Except that the car was a Buick LeSabre, and it was driven by some old lady.

She tried to pace me though the curves, and ended up spinning off to the side in the gravel.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
A buddy that I ride with told me something similar happened to him a week ago, but this was a new Dodge Ram Hemi with a nice set of 20" rims, one of which was torn from the truck when it went into the ditch. That guy is probably still kicking himself.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Great stuff, mate. Should have gone back, though, just to get a photo of the guy's face!!!

I had a similar experience with a Porsche a few months ago, but it was local knowledge, not my bike's ability, that was his downfall.

Living in a rural area, some of the roads are pretty much single lane, with gravel on the sides. When cars pass, they each put one side on the gravel. As a result, most of the corners are spattered with stones.

I was pulling away from the Porsche on the straights, then slowing for the corners that I knew had stones on them. One particular corner always has lots of big stones. I slowed right down, letting him get to within 20-30', then gunned it down the hill once I was out of the turn. I looked in my mirror and saw him going sideways across the road!!!

I think he saved it, but it was the last I saw of him.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM

thats too funny dude. i got these race take off's and they dont seem to heat up the sides as well as the street tires. so unless im hitting the twisties i cant take the 1 or two curves as well as i used to.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Hahah, cars lean the wrong way He should've pulled the hand brake and did a nice front-drive drift.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
Hahah, cars lean the wrong way He should've pulled the hand brake and did a nice front-drive drift.
Oh turning wasn't the problem. He was definitely facing the right direction, just not actually on the road

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode