After 20k miles, trade or keep? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

After 20k miles, trade or keep?

Hi all, just wondering...

I have a 02í CBR600 F4i with around 20k miles on it. Very soon I have to get some major service done as well as replace tires. I have no warranty on the F4i, and Iím getting a little worried because the expenses may mount up incase I have to start replacing other major parts on it. So I am considering selling it and getting a newer bike.

I found a new 06 GSX-R600 with 0 miles and 1 year warranty. Do you folks think itís a wise idea to trade in my F4i for something newer? Iím getting an OTD price of 4k with trade. Iím just thinking if it is worth to get a new bike, compared to just keeping the 02í F4i and spending more $$$ to keep it in shape. Iím not mechanically inclined at all, so Iíd love to keep problems to a minimum. Is 20k miles too much and will it cause me unnecessary problems? Any advice welcome

Last edited by Sparda; 10-06-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 AM

Umm...

These engines on motorcycles are built as durable as car engines, provided they aren't abused and are maintained properly. I know a guy off the cbr forum who rides an 04 cbr600 f4i and he has well over 83k on it the last time I saw. He rides about 300 miles a day to and from work down in Florida.

I wouldn't be too worried about the 20k mark. Just find out how much it is to service it at a honda dealership. They will probably charge you quite a bit of money for some simple routine maintenance, which is actually very simple to do yourself. You'd probably need some new spark plugs, timing chain adjustment, and some other small dodads which really is only like an hour's worth of work. I think its about $300-600 for the service. If you had the tools yourself and didn't know shit, but had a friend with you as well as service manual, I'd say about $20, a six pack of beer, and about 3 hours of work. Double that if you drink the six pack before you start...

Seriously, if you have the mentality that it's not worth your effort or time to do service stuff yourself or pay someone else to do it, but rather spend a lot more money for another bike is almost perplexing. You will still have to pay for this stuff even if it did have warranty. I believe the warranty is only meant for the power train, not for maintenance.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 AM

20k bike is not even broken in yet, everythink requires maintance no matter what you ride. keep the cbr unless you like wasting money.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:45 AM

You don't have to. Price sevice. Finances. 4K - service = peace of mind? Note depreciaton of 06 $2-3k OTD (check nada)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM

and would you do when that 1 yr warranty ends on the new bike? Most of the Jap bikes are built quite durable so no matter what platform you ride, you are gonna get almost the same reliability.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Up to you if you have the sort of itch for something new. Like others have said the present bikes have long milage & are not like back in the late 40s to 50s when rebores, new valves with new valve seats & spring, new big end & such were so common at 10K & lot of work prior to that.

I have over 45K on my '97 Yamaha YZF600r & it is with new tyres, chain, sprockets, plugs along with brke pads, flushed & new brake fluid plus coolant. Obviously I intend to keep it a bit longer.

Mind you I have 20K on my Honda 929 though again new tyres, new sprockets & chain, new front brake pad, flushed coolant & brake fluid & new sparkplugs. Will keep that as well.

Less milage on the '03 Honda 954 purchased (new & in the crate) in August of '04 but again much like the others bar the sparkplugs, & brake pads.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Feh, 20k is nothing. If you keep it tip-top then it'll keep going until the odometer rolls over. I'm packing the miles on mine and the only thing wrong is the cam chain tensioner making noise again. This winter I'll have pull it out and fix it which took all afternoon last time.. but other than that mine has been perfect. One other thing you would naturally get when bikes get ridden more is some 'play' in various parts such as bearings, etc. which usually aren't big DIY projects to fix.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Big ticket items when needed, fork overhaul if bushings wear, one reason for fork fluid changes, and shock service or replace.
Price brake pads and chain/sprockets of choice. A 100,000 mile bike can feel like new if kept up.
Functional changes 02 to 06 minor or important?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Strength and Honor

I'd suggest investing in some tools and the service manual and start learning something about mechanical devices, if you're not already savvy. It can save you big money in the long-run on all things mechanical.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Play is sign of wear, grease and adj minimize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode