my first crash... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

my first crash...

so i went down for the first time in the year span i've had my bike. bad situation and too much speed goin into the turn cause me to loose it, but i'm ok and my bike is actually not too bad either. I do need to buy some parts though and one of them is giving me problems. The shifting cluster broke off but the only actual broken piece is the bracket that holds the shift lever on. I am trying to save some money and just buy the bracket instead of the whole left rear set, but i can't seem to find one. i will probably end up having to buy a new left rear set but i figured i would ask you guys first and maybe i will get lucky. the only place i really know to look for my parts is ebay...any suggestions of other places online would help a lot. The bike is a 1998 suzuki gsxr-600 srad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Cant tell exactly what part you are talking about but check this
or this

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM

To bad about the prang, but you know why your pranged & you might use the system by Kenny Roberts being "in slow & out fast" which is exactly what I use & do.

The drawing Vash sent is NOT showing any farther then the spline of the shifting part. What I would highly suggest is that you visit someone that sells your make of m/c & see the parts man for they can bring up EXACTLY what you need to be replaced & in the end it will be quicker & less costly then guessing what said part is & ordering over the 'net only to possibly receive the wrong item. Time to wait for said part from the dealer is around two days. It was four days in my case for the dealer had to mail it to me.

On that spline (showen in the drawing by Vash) going into the gearbox section is probably the part damaged, in your mind, & it is that lever with the pivot on it that, is probably held by a 10mm bolt with a 10mm lock nut & bolt to snug all up. After that it is the extended rod (left handed thread in this case---while right handed thread at the rear gear change lever) going to the rear gear change lever also with a pivot part only. IF it is that part then make sure you obtain a 12 or 10mm left handed nut so you can snug up both ends of the extranded rod.

All will sound a bit mixed up, but once you go to the m/c dealer parts man & see what to order in then all will make sense. It is just that some do not realize sometimes on a bike one can come across a left handed thread/nut for a specific job.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 AM

snap a picture of the part you want replaced, and we can find it for you.

Smitty, if you dealer can get you a part in 2 days, tip him well. Mine takes 3 weeks to get brake pads and exhaust gaskets

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 AM

I don't know what city you are liveing in but trya motorcycle autowrecker. I ahve to old KZ650's they have broken loads of time's(mostly from drops) You may have to go down there to look yourself but I usually have good luck and it's hella cheap, Mabey even free for something that small.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys....I will snap some pics when i get home from work tonight. I havn't replaced any parts on my bike before so i'm not sure what everything is called and where it goes...sorry for my lack of knowledge.

oh also, i usually use in slow fast out, but in this situation i couldn't. What does prang mean?

Last edited by m3atwad; 10-03-2007 at 11:59 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM

prang= crash

Smitty uses british slang for some reason.. so Cog = gear, stone is some obscure measurement of weight, tires are spelled with a "y" and colors have a U in them. I dont understand it either, canadians are just wierd like that.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shifterx
[B I ahve to old KZ650's they have broken loads of time's(mostly from drops)
[/B]
My first 4 bikes were KZ650s. Gotta love them! The only way you could break one of those bikes is by dropping it....upright, they last forever!! The bikes they make today are faster, but are also a whole lot more fragile.....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

here are some pics of the broken piece ebay seems to be out of or atleast out of for my year.

Last edited by m3atwad; 10-03-2007 at 04:54 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
prang= crash

Smitty uses british slang for some reason.. so Cog = gear, stone is some obscure measurement of weight, tires are spelled with a "y" and colors have a U in them. I dont understand it either, canadians are just wierd like that.
Don't forget that he uses "klick", but he is always nice enough to convert to "MPH" as well. after you get the smitty to "american english" translation down you realize that he actually does make a lot of sense.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode