Almost sold my bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Almost sold my bike

I've had an 07 GSXR 750 for 10 months now. I had this urge to go out and buy a Mazdaspeed 3, if you know what that is - 263 hp version of the Mazda 3. But it would have required selling my bike in order to make it fit into my budget.

I decided not to, because I really didn't want to give up the bike, and I especially didn't want to lose so much money since the bike is so new.

Has anyone else ever come close to selling their bike over a car?

I've been riding for 2 1/2 years now...haven't had any accidents, sometimes I get paranoid...but it's just so much fun

I used to ride in textile pants/jacket. Now I use a full Fieldsheer race suit, so I do feel like at least I'll be well protected if I do go down.

Plus, northern CA is just such a great place for a motorcycle, lots of amazing roads to explore. I went out and test drove the Speed 3 a couple of times, it's fast and quite fun to drive, but I couldn't see myself going out driving the twisites just to drive em, like I go out riding. I mean, I don't think there are many people out there who just go tear up the curvy roads in a car for fun, are there? It's not the same kind of experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 PM

No I have not sold a bike to get a car, but I have sold a car to get a m/c. Slight difference.

You see this is a farming area so a truck or inexpensive cage is a must for we do not have any form of Public Tranit. It is either by foot, bycycle, m/c, or a cage even to get into town.

Obviously we do not need a real sporty or powerful cage for just something like a Jeep, VW bug, Mazda 363, or Mazda 4X4 small truck of 2600cc. Also come winter then it is a MUST.

My Mazda truck of '90 flunked on me as complete circuit board failed & another could not be replaced or this one repaired.

I did get around 3 grand for it in a trade-in on a '06 Subaru 'Forester' & here we are end of Sept & the milage on the above is just a bit over 7,000 Kilometers. Obviously I do not clock a lot of miles in a cage.

A m/c is a different story even if it is just a "fun thing" & believe me once good weather comes, like come mid October the bikes will have to be winterized till sometime in May. Still I clock a maze of miles on the sportbikes.

So as people we are different.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-29-2007 at 10:53 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Strength and Honor

Nope, but I picked up riding after I was financially established. I've got three cars besides the bike so I don't forsee this conundrum, thankfully.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Okay, so it wasn't me, but my brother sold his (old) car and his bike so he could afford a nicer car that would last him longer.

He learned from me that after graduating college, you are FAR from guaranteed a job. That said, it sucks to HAVE to replace a car rather than CHOOSING to replace a car. He opted to sell the bike and the car so he could buy a car that would (hopefully) last him well past his graduation... thereby giving him the opportunity to afford a shiny new bike in the end.

As for me... I have (twice) sold a bike to pay for a debt. The first time I sold a bike to pay for college. The second time I sold a bike to pay off a credit card (and avoid the costs that I would incur in keeping it on the road).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM

I've only ever had one car and its getting over 183,000 miles. Its a '97 cavalier and I've hated it since I started to learn how to drive in it. In fact, I never had much interest in it ever since my dad bought it new when I was about 9. I take it into my garage to fix stuff every other weekend while my bike sits in the corner looking all sad and neglected. Its one thing when stuff breaks once, but when the same stuff breaks two or three times... it gets irritating. I drive it like an old lady and take care of it but yet more stuff breaks.

I look at my bike as a sort of recreation thing since I can live my life without it. If I need money for a better car or to cover college costs then I've got to sell it since its worth 4x more than anything else I own. But so far its cheaper to keep changing out broken car parts which oddly enough all say 'Made in Mexico' on them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Though I will admit that I sold what would soon be a "Vintage" bike being a 175cc flat opposed liquid cooled SV twin called a LE Velocette with its shaft drive, hand shift, hand starter, & so much more being different to the m/c world.

The bike was sold as I needed the money to pay a small debt in the farm, but I had two comp dirt irons & would not let them go, so m/cing was still number one to me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I don't really "need" the speed 3, actually I already have two cars - a Prius and an Accord Coupe. But since the Speed 3 would be more expensive than my current Accord payment, I'd have to sell the bike in order to afford it. But after thinking it over some more, I'm pretty sure I'd regret the decision after the new car syndrome wore off. I think it's be better to wait, pay off the bike in a couple of years, then I can afford a new car payment if I still have the urge.

As for that Cavalier, I know those things have terrible reliability. I've owned a car like that - took great care of it, and still, things kept breaking. After that, I vowed never to buy another GM product as long as I live - I'll stick with the imports.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM

That's a lot of nice cars... why do you need a third? But yeah, its cheaper for me to buy another car myself than to keep fixing mine. Its been through at least two of everything. In fact I was just looking at a new Honda CR-V online just now and its a pretty decent SUV. It could tow a couple bikes to the track, carry big stuff home, and it won't upset the tree huggers. Its out of my price range, though.

My problem is I need to tow my bike to the track next year. I used a pickup when I went up to Mid-O last week which was more trouble than it was worth even though it was a nice truck but not made for hauling bikes; an '07 Toyota Tacoma. I installed a trailer hitch on my car about a month ago in anticipation of towing but I've been concerned about slightly overloading the car with the weight of bike, trailer, tools, etc. It may just explode on the hilly roads near the track.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of your car exploding under all that strain.

I wasn't going to have 3 cars though, I was going to trade in my Accord and my bike for one car.

But I think I'm over it now...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Last year I ran out of money and traded my second bike for a car. The car and the bike are both cheep so it's not really the same situation since I needed the car and it was a second bike. I'm keeping an eye on the bike to buy it back some day. I might even trade the car back for the bike, he's been begging me for the car back all year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode