My 1st Crash! Wear your gear! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15
My 1st Crash! Wear your gear!

This is something I think newbies and vets would appreciate to hear. When i took the MSF a year ago, the first thing they started out the course with is "You Will Go Down!". At the time, i thought it was a negative way to introduce how to operate a motorcycle, but over time, I've found for it to be very realistic. It seems that everyone will fall off their bikes whether its just loosing balance, being reckless or going through a slow turn at 5mph. In the 1 year Ive been riding, Ive seen/heard some of my friends and riding buddies go down whether they were riding reckless or not and i always though, as long as Im paying attention, that will never happen to me!

Today I fell off my bike in the downtown portion of my hometown. I was doing maybe 10-15 mph before I got to a malfunctioning traffic intersection light where it was stop and go traffic. As I thought traffic was still going my way, the cars in the other intersection jumped from the line as if their light turned green suddenly! (we all know how bad inner city drivers are) I hit the brakes to avoid running into the intersection, but not too hard! Low and behold, plenty of oil residue was present on the ground of this high traffic area. My rear tire comes from under me and down I go! The rubber portion of my frame sliders was torn off but it saved my entire left fairing with no problems except my mirror. As far as myself, I had on full gear to include my jacket w/pads, helmet and gloves. Needless to say, I suffered no injuries but a minor scrape on my knee through my jeans. I got up, picked up my ego and my bike, and took off.

I just wanted to share this with everyone. This is my first crash in the 1 year Ive been riding sportbikes. No matter how experienced you are, you can go down just as easy as someone that is new to this two wheeled lifestyle. Most importantly, WEAR YOUR GEAR. I doubt I woulda suffered much, but Im sure I woulda had some nasty scrapes when I went down on my left arm if I didnt have my jacket on. A lady at McDonalds asked me why do I wear a jacket when its so hot outside. It was around 85 degrees at the time and very hot in full gear. Trying to look "cool" would have surely got me f'd up. Im glad I had it on!

Last edited by hypnotizes; 09-26-2007 at 04:36 PM.
hypnotizes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
amen to the gear.

thanks for sharing this, it will help somebody else.

glad you are ok. your bike too.
bindlestiffjim is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Registered User
 
cookeetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 7,448
Quote:
Originally posted by bindlestiffjim
amen to the gear.

thanks for sharing this, it will help somebody else.

glad you are ok. your bike too.
+1




In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
cookeetree is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21
Thanks for sharing man, it's good to hear you came out pretty much unscathed!

Do you know how much it's gonna cost to fix your bike?
Trott is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC 28540
Posts: 704
Re: My 1st Crash! Wear your gear!

Quote:
Originally posted by hypnotizes
This is something I think newbies and vets would appreciate to hear. When i took the MSF a year ago, the first thing they started out the course with is "You Will Go Down!". At the time, i thought it was a negative way to introduce how to operate a motorcycle, but over time, I've found for it to be very realistic. It seems that everyone will fall off their bikes whether its just loosing balance, being reckless or going through a slow turn at 5mph. In the 1 year Ive been riding, Ive seen/heard some of my friends and riding buddies go down whether they were riding reckless or not and i always though, as long as Im paying attention, that will never happen to me!

Today I fell off my bike in the downtown portion of my hometown. I was doing maybe 10-15 mph before I got to a malfunctioning traffic intersection light where it was stop and go traffic. As I thought traffic was still going my way, the cars in the other intersection jumped from the line as if their light turned green suddenly! (we all know how bad inner city drivers are) I hit the brakes to avoid running into the intersection, but not too hard! Low and behold, plenty of oil residue was present on the ground of this high traffic area. My rear tire comes from under me and down I go! The rubber portion of my frame sliders was torn off but it saved my entire left fairing with no problems except my mirror. As far as myself, I had on full gear to include my jacket w/pads, helmet and gloves. Needless to say, I suffered no injuries but a minor scrape on my knee through my jeans. I got up, picked up my ego and my bike, and took off.

I just wanted to share this with everyone. This is my first crash in the 1 year Ive been riding sportbikes. No matter how experienced you are, you can go down just as easy as someone that is new to this two wheeled lifestyle. Most importantly, WEAR YOUR GEAR. I doubt I woulda suffered much, but Im sure I woulda had some nasty scrapes when I went down on my left arm if I didnt have my jacket on. A lady at McDonalds asked me why do I wear a jacket when its so hot outside. It was around 85 degrees at the time and very hot in full gear. Trying to look "cool" would have surely got me f'd up. Im glad I had it on!
It's a win. Glad you could share this with everyone. The gear is for a reason. You can buy more gear, and replace the bike. Can't replace you though.

Hope it all works out!

Take care...

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
DanQ is online now  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Trott
Thanks for sharing man, it's good to hear you came out pretty much unscathed!

Do you know how much it's gonna cost to fix your bike?
Since it was a low speed fall and i had frame sliders, the bike only fell on its left side. The left mirror was town off and the left rubber portion of the frame slider was taken off (not the bolted on portion). The bike itself is un scratched and runs good still. I think it should be inexpensive. Just new frame sliders and a new mirror.

The bike fell on its left side. I rode it home on street & expressway and it performed fine. Is there anything i should check for?
hypnotizes is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Leather is cheaper than skin grafts

I remember all the times I've picked up bikes; some mine, some not. It's definitely a huge ego hit. Especially for lady riders.
chickonabike is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC 28540
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally posted by chickonabike
Leather is cheaper than skin grafts

I remember all the times I've picked up bikes; some mine, some not. It's definitely a huge ego hit. Especially for lady riders.
Nah... ladies don't have testoserone. He did big here. I give him endless props.

Going down sucks for anyone. But males have bigger problems admitting things. That's why we have more "sudden heart attacks."

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
DanQ is online now  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Unhappy

Sorry if that got taken the wrong way, I wasn't inferring any lack of manhood to any of you.

It's hard for women to get on a bike in the first place. We naturally have something to prove because of that. Granted it's mostly to ourselves. But that doesn't change the defeat we feel when we fail, that is, when we drop our bikes.

I've often heard "Crashing separates those who like riding and those who love it". So mad props to pickin' up and riding on! Welcome to the confirmed members of the love it club!
chickonabike is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC 28540
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally posted by chickonabike
Sorry if that got taken the wrong way, I wasn't inferring any lack of manhood to any of you.

It's hard for women to get on a bike in the first place. We naturally have something to prove because of that. Granted it's mostly to ourselves. But that doesn't change the defeat we feel when we fail, that is, when we drop our bikes.

I've often heard "Crashing separates those who like riding and those who love it". So mad props to pickin' up and riding on! Welcome to the confirmed members of the love it club!
Nah... not taken in the wrong way at all. Men typically have trouble admitting that they may have been wrong at anything. I have always enjoyed teaching women for this reason.

I fully understand the feeling that women sometimes feel that they have more to prove, but trust me, as a former instructor, no they don't. We all don't achieve goals, and as a result we set new ones. Males have more trouble admitting that they didn't achieve a goal... or that they met defeat. The original poster swallowed all pride and made an informative post. Props for sure.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
DanQ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome