low 60's F and tire temperature - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

low 60's F and tire temperature

Its almost the end of the riding season in NYC, with temperatures in low 60's in the evening... It's sad that i can't 'comfortably' ride 365 days a year =(

In any event, just wanted to share my astonishment with tire temperature last night. It was the first time for these Pirelli Diablo's (about 1k miles on them) to see anything colder then 70-80F... and let me tell you - they barely warm up... even after half an hour of moderate turns on Southern State Pkwy i touched them and they were barely 'warm'. I will take a temperature guage next time to mesuare the temp....

Does anyone know what is the proper 'warmed up' temperature for these tires to grip well? Is it possible that they are not able to warm up enough to provide decent grip?

I haven't felt any difference in the way the front behaved, but the rear definitely skidded more then it usually did it in the warm weather.

What do you guys think ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 AM

You aren't going to "heat cycle" tires doing normal street riding, so don't expect them to get burning hot, particularly in colder weather. And normal street tires don't need to get burning hot to be effective, either.

While cold tires obviously have less traction than warm ones, remember that when it cools down the pavement also gets colder, and all of the contaminants, such as oil, antifreeze, tar, etc... on the roads become that much more slippery. You have to watch that in cold weather, particularly once it starts raining.

60 degrees isn't that cold though. I don't seem to have a problem in 50-60 degree weather once I've ridden a few miles.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 AM

MrT is so correct. Remember up here in Cdn & many northern parts of the States often riders are riding at close to freezing temps to even freezing temps. Though later in the afternoon it might warm up a bit to something like 50F which we Cdns look upon as lovely riding weather.

My mix of Bridgestone to Michelin tyres seem fine with said colder temps & your specific tyres would probably be the same. So do not sweat for you are NOT road racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode