Second track day of the year! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Second track day of the year!

Since its been a little slow on here I thought I'd share some pics of my second track day this year at Blackhawk Farms in Rockton, IL.

First Let me reiterate how important to get your suspension set up. I dropped 9 SECONDS from last years times! Granted its easier to drop big chunks of time when you are slow, but 9 seconds is huge. I went form midpack Beginner group to midpack Intermediate group. The best part was that it didn't even feel that much faster.

Second let me say that if you do a track day talk to the Control Riders. The faster I got the slower things seemed and the less effort it took becuase of their advise. They see things you never could when you are out there and their advise is priceless.

Oh yeah, I can't say enough good things about the M3's again either. Not a hint of slippage under trail braking and hard accelleration out of the turns. They handled the rough spots of the track flawlessley, and believe me there were a lot of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (315.7 KB, 83 views)

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Another One...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.1 KB, 87 views)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

One More...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.7 KB, 79 views)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM

Sweet! I'm incredibly nervous and excited about my first track day coming up in a few weeks... I'm almost having trouble controlling my bowels

Today, in fact, I returned my Astars track pants and Tech back protector and bought a new 1pc suit instead. I grabbed a Hein Gericke Celtic suit in gray, and the cost difference was only $30 The Astars stuff ended up making me feel weird all over and also somewhat financially raped.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
WOW, 9 seconds!!!! That is great! I agree with you, suspension is key and I found that out this wednesday (09/05) at a track day.

I brought a different bike to this track day and the bike felt good, but had some wobbles here and there. I played with the suspension and the bike just repsonded so nicely to everything I wanted. It made a huge difference. It still needs some work, but I will adjust it as I go.

Nice Pics. I also run with Nesba. Haven't done one in a while, but maybe before the end of the year.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Strength and Honor

Nice bike ryan Were you fiddling with the suspension settings yourself or did you have someone do it for you or what?

Good info on Blackhawk as it was a consideration for next year

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Nice bike ryan Were you fiddling with the suspension settings yourself or did you have someone do it for you or what?

Good info on Blackhawk as it was a consideration for next year
I had Ed at trackside engineering do it. Cost me $70 (50 + 20 tip cause he did such a great job). He spent well over 2 hours making sure everything was right.

Blackhawk should be fine next year, its actually an awesome track! I've ridden there 3 times and this was the only time I've had a problem with the surface. It was just purchased by a new owner so I'm sure they've been spending time on that instead of spending as much time on the surface as they should.

However, since you have Putnam in IN i'd definately say do that, everybody who is on it absolutely loves it. I hope to get there this October, if not though definately next year.

If you stay on the race line there is no problems but if you have a brain fart (like I did) and end up on the rough stuff, hold on baby!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Dropping nine seconds is great. Obviously the bit of work on the suspension was more then well worth it.

Here it Cdn, if you could get that it would be more like $200.00 & I am not kidding your for everything costs a lot more in Cdn.

Mind you some of the credit is due to the fact that it is your SECOND track day & first would be a bit hairy & new to you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Dropping nine seconds is great. Obviously the bit of work on the suspension was more then well worth it.

Here it Cdn, if you could get that it would be more like $200.00 & I am not kidding your for everything costs a lot more in Cdn.

Mind you some of the credit is due to the fact that it is your SECOND track day & first would be a bit hairy & new to you.
Second this year. I did three last year, but I couldn't ride this year till after I got married. The three times I've went to this track I went from 1:45 my first time to 1:38 my second and this time I was in the 1:29's by the end of the day. My first session out I was getting 1:33's.

This winter I read everything I could on techinque and riding skils. I spent a lot of time on the bike while it was up on stands in the garage working on form. Then when I was out riding I tried to work on preparing for the turns sooner. It all added up to faster lap times on the track.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:36 PM

I've mounted up some M3's on my CBR yesterday and took them for a ride today. My first impression is that its so astronomically nice not to be riding on squared-off tires anymore. I was wondering why my turning, particularly at low speeds, was all wobbly and inconsistent but now its apparent since my old Pilot Powers looked like my car tires.

Anyways, the M3s gave me so much more confidence than the derelict PPs through some light local suburban twisties. Its much nicer and smoother when turning it in and throttling it out. Can't wait to hit the track

Speaking of tires, I do mainly city/highway riding... is there a tire out there that wouldn't get squared-off as fast/as much as my PPs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode