Suspension Adjustments - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Suspension Adjustments

I have a 2004 Yamaha R6 and would say that I am a really small rider - weighing in at 140 lbs.... It seems to me that the suspension on my bike could be a bit softer.

How do I do this and what are there any cons?? I am the only rider of the bike and seldom ride with a passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Check your manual. You can soften the suspension by changing the rebound of the shocks in the rear. There should be a gas chamber that has a screw that has "hard" and "soft" settings on it or similar markings. The more you screw it in either direction affects it accordingly. Same thing goes with the front forks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
Check your manual. You can soften the suspension by changing the rebound of the shocks in the rear. There should be a gas chamber that has a screw that has "hard" and "soft" settings on it or similar markings. The more you screw it in either direction affects it accordingly. Same thing goes with the front forks.

ok. I've noticed it before, didn't know if there was more required than that... I guess it really doesn't effect the handling around twisties then?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM

it can affect you in the twisties. but unless your riding really hard, and your suspension isnt adjusted way to hard or way to soft i think you'll be alight. somewhere in the middle is just fine for most riders.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
FIRST, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING UNTILL YOU HAVE YOUR STATIC SAG SET CORRECTLY!! If you are a lightish rider it might be that your suspension isn't starting from its proper range on motion. Static sag is basically how much your suspension is compressed with you on the bike. Its paramount to have this set first before you start messing with your compression and rebound damping.

Sportrider has some good tutorials online on how to set your static sag and how to go about messing with your compression and rebound damping numbers.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

The Bike is completely stock other then I had it lowered by 1" with a lowering link.... I have put all the miles on the bike since it was new, and have always thought that it rode a bit rough. Thats where this post came in
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM

You might want to look at taking you and the bike to a smaller shop to actually dial in your suspesion for you. Some places will do it for, quite frankly, a nominal fee. They'll make adjucstments according to you body type, weight, stance, etc. and then have you test ride a few miles - bring it back in see how you like the adjusted feel and make more adjustments from there if need be.

Threemo

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally posted by threemo
You might want to look at taking you and the bike to a smaller shop to actually dial in your suspesion for you. Some places will do it for, quite frankly, a nominal fee. They'll make adjucstments according to you body type, weight, stance, etc. and then have you test ride a few miles - bring it back in see how you like the adjusted feel and make more adjustments from there if need be.

Threemo
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=62676

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=62676
Roger that!

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode