New Helmet - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

New Helmet

I need to get a new helmet.

I want to know if its worth buying the more expensive helmet with the snell rateing or if the regular minimum requirement is good enough. I don't want to cheap out, I want the best protection avaliable. Let me know if yall think it's worth the extra moolah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM

i think once you wear a higher end helmet you'll never go back to a cheaper one.

the increase in comfort, and decrease in noise is very noticable.

that said, as with all makes of helmets, some of the more expensive ones won't fit you correctly/comfortably.

try them on.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info but how about safety. Do you have any idea about how much better they hold up against a crash at say 50k and 100k?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 05:06 PM

If you have a Yamaha dealer nearby check out their full face Vega Mach 1 helmets.
Nice graphics, Dot and Snell rated for around $119.

Vega is a Yahama brand name. Someone else makes their helmets
but I don't know who. Very nice. great fit and low price.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 05:52 PM

As far as safety wise make sure that you get a helmet that is DOT and Snell approved, especially Snell cuz it is tested more than a just DOT certified helmet, meaning better protection overall. And when it comes to costs you just have to know what you are paying for. Different makes fit differently on people, some fit bigger some fit smaller and so forth. just like bindlestiffjim said, You just have to try on different kinds and once you get a higher end helmet you won't want a lower end one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Strength and Honor

If you're pressed for cash and would have to wait on purchase of other gear to get a SNELL rated lid, get the DOT. They're sufficient for most circumstances.

Here's a comparo from Snell.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Hey all,

I did extensive research on a large group of helmets from many different manufactures. Now, I do not have any interest in any particular brand of helmet other than my own safety. You have to remember one thing, this is protecting your HEAD. How much do you want to skimp out on when it comes to your mellon? During my research, I found out some interesting stuff. Most helmets will tell you that they meet DOT or SNELL safety ratings. Very few manufacturers exceed these ratings.

I found that Arai, Shoei, Scorpion, and Soumy are companies that exceed the test requirements set by DOT and SNELL. Unfortuanely, these are some of the more expensive brands. I opted for the Arai RX-7 Corsair, as it had a phenominal safety rating and fit me the best. Fit is VERY important.

Good luck

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM

I ran HJC's till my last accident. Then tried on a Soumy and it fit my dome better than any other lid I tried. Since isurance was paying I bought it - the best helmet I've ever had. You do get what you pay for.

Threemo

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 PM

you aren't going to pick up a good helmet for $100. adequate, yes. you may get one that meets DOT standards. you may even find one on sale that meets both DOT and SNELL for somewhere around that price, but it won't have the comfort, noise dampening, and ventilation of the higher end lids.

any money you spend on a better lid is money well spent. the four companies jgreen mentioned are all great lids. you can find some lower priced ones from them, as well as some of the most expensive you'll see. they're all good. try them on, spend the extra cash. you'll be happy in the long run.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bindlestiffjim
you aren't going to pick up a good helmet for $100. adequate, yes. you may get one that meets DOT standards. you may even find one on sale that meets both DOT and SNELL for somewhere around that price, but it won't have the comfort, noise dampening, and ventilation of the higher end lids.

any money you spend on a better lid is money well spent. the four companies jgreen mentioned are all great lids. you can find some lower priced ones from them, as well as some of the most expensive you'll see. they're all good. try them on, spend the extra cash. you'll be happy in the long run.
+2

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode