How to haul sportbike in a truckbed? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

How to haul sportbike in a truckbed?

I was gonna get a trailer to haul a couple of bikes, but I think it will be cheaper to hall them in my truckbed. I know I need a ramp for the bikes, but I was just wandering what else I might need and the best way to hall them? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 PM

You need HEAVY GUAGE RACHETING tie-downs. I always run 4 per bike. 2 up front will suffice though. Utilize anchor points on the bed and hook in. Anchor in the front of the bike first, compressing the forks fairly deep. Check for sway, rub points on the bike and truck, and be sure to engage 1st gear. If you're going on a longer haul be sure to stop and check tension periodically. Be careful releasing tension on tiedowns when at destination - the bike has a tendency to get squirlly on you and you don't want to drop it in the truck bed. Bets to do this with a friend the first time - and look for an incline advantage when loading in/out - makes the whole process a ton easier. Good luck

threemo

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 AM
Strength and Honor

Can you really get two bikes onto a truck bed? The one time I transported my 636 in a Toyota Tundra it took up way more than 50% of the space.

If you don't have a Canyon Dancer (or similar travel tool) then you'll loop one strap each around the triple tree/fork and compress the forks somewhat. I use two on the back like threemo to ensure the bike doesn't go anywhere, esp when you hit bumps. When I transported on a trailer, I added 2x4 blocks one either side of each wheel of each bike to ensure there wasn't any accidental slipping to one side or the other of the tires themselves.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 AM

You can fit 2 bike in a standard truck bed, even if one of them is a busa. The tricky part is tying them down if you dont have an anchor point in the middle of the front of the bed. You will have to run the tie downs thru the front wheels of the other bike, but be carefull not to have it press on the rotors.

Always compress the crap out of the forks. If you dont, they can compress some more when you hit a big bump, loosening the tension on the tie downs, which may slip.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Does compressing the forks for a trip that takes a day or two cause any damage to the front suspension?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 AM
Strength and Honor

No.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedDot07
Does compressing the forks for a trip that takes a day or two cause any damage to the front suspension?
As kanwisch said, it won't hurt them, but if you're still worried, just back the ratchets off most of the way at night when you stop. Just keep enough tension on them to hold the bike up.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 04:16 PM

tieing down the bike...

OK I have been doin it that way for years. All you need are two ties(Do one bike at a time). But one tie on the left handle bar going left and one on the right going right. Make sure when you tighten them you have someone else push the front shocks down so that it deos not bounce. That is it leave it on the wheels and it will be ok. As for getting it on the truck bed Try to use a steep incline and DO NOT DRIVE THE BIKE ON unless you are very experienced at such things. Sorry for the spelling errors... I was never a good speller.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
As kanwisch said, it won't hurt them, but if you're still worried, just back the ratchets off most of the way at night when you stop. Just keep enough tension on them to hold the bike up.

Sorry, but that's not sound advice at all cookeetree - Leaving 1 or 2 bikes lightly racheted into a truck bed is begging for disaster. Tie downs straps tend to slip around the racheting mechanism when there's not much tension on them. Couple that with just the slightest shift of off center weight, on the bikes or the truck for that matter and you run a good risk of one if not both bikes pulling out of their tie downs. Not good.

Threemo

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Yes I agree you need tension on the straps but that's why I said to compress the shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode