which bikes come with slipper clutches? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

which bikes come with slipper clutches?

A friend is looking for a bike, I recommended he buys used. One of the must haves on his list is a slipper clutch. As far as I can remember the bikes that have them are
kawi zx10r 04+
Kawi zx6rr '04
kawi zx6r 05+
gsxr 1000 '05+
gsxr 600/750 at some year dont know which...
Pretty sure 600RR dont have them at all, dont know about the 1000RR, and did the R6 ever get one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I can't vouch for the others but the slipper clutch on my 05 zx-6r works wonderfully. I'm pretty sure there is no way I could go back to a bike without one. No, I'm certian there is no way.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:21 PM

The '08 V-Rod's come with Slipper Clutches.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:27 PM

I honestly like a bit of engine braking for in town riding, but out of town it can be a real drag.

vacuum assisted clutch for the win!!!

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:34 PM

Slipper clutches are now gradually being factory installed on production four-stroke motorcycles such as the Aprilia Mille, Yamaha YZF-R6 2006/2007, Yamaha YZF-R1 SP 2006 , Yamaha YZF-R1 2007 , Kawasaki ZX-10R, Suzuki GSX-R1000 2005-2007, and are available as retrofit for many other models.

Found this and thought it might be helpful, here is the link to the whole thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipper_clutch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Ryan: Yes, they can be quiet a crutch. I keep on getting suprised by the lack of one everytime I ride a bike that doesnt have one.

Jeff: Really? I'm suprised, but that is NOT one of the bikes up for considiration.

WASD: Factory slipper clutches do no eliminate engine braking, they simply mellow out the peak, so the rear wheel doesnt lock up for more than a foot or so under downshifts. You can still engine brake just like you normally would. What does the vaccum assist do? I thought it just helped you pull the lever?

Adam: Thanks!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 AM

Vacuum assisted clutches are a really neat bit of technology, even though I have yet to have the chance to use one they still interest me greatly.

They work by using the engine vacuum created when the throttle is closed to separate the clutch plates, and reduce clutch pull.

Without a slipper or vac clutch you are required to manually disengage the clutch when you are decelerating quickly, (or turning, or going, or eating Mcdonald's) but as a benefit you have more control on the amount of slip you have. This can be both a good thing and a terrible thing. It's kind of like abs vs not, and if you think about it a slipper clutch is a lot like a traction control system. I like not having a slipper clutch because I use that greater control of braking force in the rear to substitute my lack of rear brake use.

I also ride a heavy bike and I have found that reserving some speed late into a corner then using the engine braking to shift the bikes weight as I lower the front into a corner and manually engaging the clutch to steady the suspension after the initial turn in, about 1/5th into the turn gives me a faster turn in and greater control. However this isn't on a track and not at race speeds, at faster speeds it is far too much to control accurately in a turn so I have to be slow on the entrance and faster out to bring the bike back up in the line that I want.

Either way I end up using the clutch to some degree until about 1/4 past the apex on most turns, and I like it.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM

What up, V.? I've seen the retrofit kits for just about all the bikes you mentioned, and then some. Prices are ~ $500.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Yes Vash they do, they come standard on all VRSC, and the Night Rod edition, avalible option on any other VRod model, also they are an option on any of the "CVO" bikes, basically the factory performance line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode