a little confused - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

a little confused

I thought I would post here because most of the people here are level headed, now I'm sure most of you know the difference between a sport tourer and an SS bike, now I had a cruiser for the last 4yrs, then I decided I wanted something with more power and fun to ride, so I bought a 2006 Katana, and let me tell you, this is a great bike, I can go for hrs on this bike. Now my question is, why do so many people compare it to a SS bike when it's not one, apples and oranges, the SS bikes are replica race bikes, and are made for the track, bottom line, and my bike does a 140mph, where a 600rr does 155mph, not that much of a difference in top end, but once again apples and oranges, I'm just thinking it's kids that have no idea what there talking about, I will never give up comfort for speed, just confused, thanks for letting me rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM

You have a good post there I have to agree. The Kwacker Katana originally came onto some of the movies or TV stuff with most assuming onlookers were asdsuming sportbikes.

Mind you the Katana has been sort of degraded to a peaky sportbike when in fact the Katana is an ideal one up bike or even a first bike. It is a bit on the heavy side, but really is normal riding that important?

I have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r which was probably the best mid-range power-plant of them all with dramatic stopping power. Both attracted me to being one of the reason I bought though also because we were selling Yamaha bikes though I also had a Suzy GSXR-750 plus a Yamaha TZR-250 with more TZ parts them most.

I had been modifying basically Brit irons for dirt comp to road racing when such bikes were NOT avaliable in late 40s to the 50s. A few yrs later they were called "cafe racers" by the Brits so some 30 yrs later the sportbike was the replacement of my street legal road racers without me spending a winter modifying a Brit iron or modifying a Jpn street bike to a Rickman frame, best of suspension, & so much more.

Last edited by Smitty; 08-14-2007 at 01:11 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Gotta justify the new stuff some how. For some people dated, especially when less focused on the top edge, is better.
For newbies trying to keep up with squids, lighter more compact and refined is easier.
For me a modded Bandit is better all rounder, but bought neither.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM

I agree that the katana is no SS bike but I would perhaps call it the beginners SS if we are looking at the lower cc models. As you know it's a very bad Idea to go out and learn to ride on any kind of SS bike, but the katana has a sporty look to the beginer and pulls on you when you through the throttle open pretty good to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode