First ride on my free M3's - Road Review - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
First ride on my free M3's - Road Review

I've finally got the M3's I won mounted and had a chance to give them a little workout on the street. My previous tires were Diablo Corsa III's so I knew I was going to be a tough cookie to please, however these tires did a fantastic job.

My ride starts off with a long sweeping right hander thats about 3/4 of a full circle. Its a great place to get her leaned over at high speeds. Usually I judge what kind of ride its going to be by how confident I am on it. The first thing I noticed is that the tires gave me confidence to keep rolling on the throttle all the way through the curve. To me this means that they had a quick warm up and good front tire feedback. I was able to hold my line with ease which was also awesome.

Once I got to the twisites the biggest thing I noticed is that the front tire gives feedback at a lower pace than the Corsa III's did. In order to get good feedback from the Corsa III's I'd have to be riding pretty hard. The M3's were giving me feedback as I was working up to speed. I did notice that it took a little more effort to get them leaned over than the Corsa's. Once the bike was leaned over it fell into full lean very easily and progressively. These tires allowed me to change my line pretty easily. The M3's were also really good under hard braking. They were extremely stable and gave me more than enough confidence to keep adding more and more pressure to the lever.

Overall the M3's make an excellent street tire and I'd definately use them for anything I'd ever throw at them on the street. This Thursday I'll be taking them to the track to really see what they can do!

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Strength and Honor

Sweet!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM

nice! looking forward to the track review!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally posted by Meat_Shield
nice! looking forward to the track review!
Well we will see how good of a review it is. 40% chance of rain right now.

I swear somebody is against me. Of the 4 track days I've done I've seen rain at 2 of them. If it rains on Thursday I'll be 3 of 5, WTF is that?!?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm also looking forward to the track review since I'm running on some pretty squared-off Pilot Powers which may not pass tech inspection when I head up to Mid-Ohio next month.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Which leads me to a question... How do you check tread depth effectively?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
i am curious as well. just how much rubber is left once you get to the bottom of the tread?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
I bought a pressure gauge which has a tread depth tool on the other end and I've used it extensively. To determine what is acceptable some understanding of what the tire started with helps. Alternately, I could give you the numbers from my Diablo.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm also looking forward to the track review since I'm running on some pretty squared-off Pilot Powers which may not pass tech inspection when I head up to Mid-Ohio next month.
Will you be running Mid-Ohio with STT? I was really close to signing up for that date!

Anyways, to pass tech most groups will ask for over 50% of tread left, however I've gotten away with less. Generally they want the most tread on the sides of the tires since thats where they are used the most. I'm pretty sure they don't like squared off tires though.

From the sounds of it I'd most likely slap on a new set of tires. They are the thing that keeps your bike upright!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
Will you be running Mid-Ohio with STT?
You got it! September 24th. Can't wait! It'll probably rain... hard. It'll be my first track day and the initial startup costs are just astronomical. I really wanted to get a day in before the end of the season otherwise I'd be regretting it the whole winter. I'll post up how it goes and during the meanwhile I've got a few question I'll send over in a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode