late model Liter bikes "flickable"? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Little J040
late model Liter bikes "flickable"?

Hey all,

I've got this 99' zx6r, and within a year or two, im thinking about moving up to a new liter model, from any place really. Sorta leaning towards a zx-10r as ive been nothing but happy with my kawi...

Question is, will a liter bike be as nimble as my older 600? And how much bigger is the bike width wise to older 600s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 PM

The Suzuki liter bikes, K5 on, are nearly the same size and weight as modern 600's. In fact, if you didn't know you were getting on one, you wouldn't even notice until you opened up the throttle.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

thats what i wanted to know! thanks... Ill probably wait for the 08' end year sales, before i look at them.

On another note, my bike is about 395 lbs dry weight, seems like late model liter bikes weigh even less... thats rediculous!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
mine (2004 1000rr) is much more flickable with a 190/55 series rear tire, stock is a 190/50. turns in like butter. effortless and i mean effortless turn-ins.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 PM

If you are accustom to a late model 600 four then the 1000 will be very similiar, but as you turn up the wick you will find there is torque at lower revs compard to the 600 plus a maze of power when the bike comes on pipe & that can come on so darn quickly with a bang that your butt will be sent to the rear, so need to hang onto the grips, to grip in with the knees, be on the balls of your feet with the footrests. They really do honk with such little trigger twist.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

thats what i wanted to hear!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM

i`ve got a 05 10. wet its around 420 lbs. going from your bike to that handling will improve becuase if nothing else the chassis is better. the first thing i doo when i buy a bike is to set it up for my weight and riding style and the roads i frequent. i`ve got aftermarket qualifiers on it and its set up a little on the soft side as the roads a bit choppy here. i came from a 03 gsxr 1000 which was great and this bike is its equal plus some. i`m willing to bet at any semi sane street pace the turn in on the 1000`s will be near identical to the current 600`s. theres obviously the reciprocating weight issue of the spinning motor parts on big bike which theoretically effects turn in but really...you wont beleive how great a big motored bike can handle. .....this is from somebody thats been riding abit of years and has had at least 10 bikes in the last 15.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

But don't make the mistake of thinking that just because you have the power of a 1000 in a 600 size bike, that it makes it more FUN. It doesn't, really, in my opinion. What Smitty says is true - when I rode a 1K, I had to make a concious effort to keep the wheel down when I opened it up, and an unprepared encounter with the power band could equal a 12 o'clock. I mean it wasn't too much bike - I could handle it fine, but honestly, my current 750 is a much more fun ride.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

really? so you think that i might have a better time on a 750? Im not completely dead set on a liter bike, i just wanted something with a little more power at mid rpms, vs. just at the top end. As far as bringing the front end up all the time, i can see how that could be a pain... although it could be fun too
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Little J040
really? so you think that i might have a better time on a 750? Im not completely dead set on a liter bike, i just wanted something with a little more power at mid rpms, vs. just at the top end. As far as bringing the front end up all the time, i can see how that could be a pain... although it could be fun too
Yes, I do. It's essentially the same bike as a 600, but you get about 30 more ponies with no tradeoff in handling. The additional 30 hp that comes with a 1K comes at the price of a slower turn-in, and less "flickability." And - you aren't going to beneficially use much of that additional power anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode