race takeoffs....use em? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

race takeoffs....use em?

so i found a guy who is selling the used race tires (qualifying and such) has anyone use these tires. obviously i am going to give them a good inspection before i have them mounted. i can get like 3 of them for the price of 1 new one. i did do a quick search and didnt find any previous threads on the subject. just seeking any good/bad experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Well they'll never get up to the desired operating temperature but they will hold up pretty well to some twisty action. The downside is that they flat spot really quickly. If you do a lot of freeway riding you'll go through them really quick and you'll prob end up loosing money in the long run.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:22 AM

usually race-takes off will have low sidewalls, but should have good thread life down the center. Just what bittersweetryan said, they won't reach their op temp with just highway use. The heat and cold cycles that a street tire goes through will be pretty bad on a track tire. When you go from cold to hot and back to cold, it wears the tire down, creating some uneven wear sometimes.

There's a reason why race tires usually have tire warmers on them since you get the most life out of already warm tire and they take damn forever to warm up by normal riding, even taking twisties hard. Remember, if you don't mount and balance the tires yourself, you'll loose a lot more money and end up changing them after a 1000 miles...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
why would anyone use a used race slick for the street?? do you have to be that cool!!

that would be like buying a used clutch disc
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx954HxCafexX
why would anyone use a used race slick for the street?
Because its cheap, possibly. That would be enough for consideration or at least some background research in my book, which is what it appears he's doing.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
why would anyone use a used race slick for the street?? do you have to be that cool!!
The race take offs usually used for the street aren't the slicks, they are DOT race tires which have a tread pattern on them. The most popular tire around here is the Pirelli Supercorsa. From what I hear the stunters love to use slicks.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:59 AM

we buy used race tires quite often. and it turns out to be pretty good for us. we live in an area with alot of twisty's .

just to see how they are doing a friend of mine bought a used Pirelli Supercorsa. and i bought a new piolet power 2ct and he only got 500 miles less out of his used race tire than i did a new one. Now that was no free way riding and no abusing the tire by burnouts and stuff just some good twidty action.

Brandon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 AM

yeah, its very sticky, specially for slow stunts. Race-take offs from track days are usually DOT approved are sorta meant for street/track use, like the Corsa III's or 2ct's. You can do some really nice canyon carving or country twisties and still take it to the track. They are expensive and wear down fast. My friend averages between 1500-2500 miles on the Corsa III, but he just tears the living shit out of his tires, and his 954 eats tires like no tomorrow.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
that makes sense, i live in south fl, and there is a shit load of hot saucy stunta's. Most of the shops down here are all in kahoots with stuntas, the only time i saw someone using old race tires was on a stunt bike. sorry for the sterotype,
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

that would be like buying a used clutch disc
exactly what kanwisch said. there cheap and im on a budget right now. i can get a rear for $40 mounted and a set for $70. so i can go through like 3 sets of em for the price of 1 new street tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode