Sport bike vs. V-Rod? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Sport bike vs. V-Rod?

I work at a bar that is frequented by both cruisers and sportbike riders. I make friends with both. Most, including myself, understand that everybody wants something different from there riding experience. While some want comfort and tradition (Harley riders), others want pure aggressive power and handling (sport bike riders).
There are that small handful of people on both sides that choose a side that one is better then the other. I find that most of these people are on the Harley side, maybe because I ride a sportbike. I encounter these people every once and a while and they always say the same thing. They swear that they witnessed a V-Rod, tear up a “crotch rocket” all day long at the track: . I never argue, I just state that a sport bike is designed for track and not quarter mile runs. However, in an effort to educate myself, I did some research. All I found was this;
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...vrscB%2004.htm
And this;
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...son_vrscd_.htm

I couldn’t find a ¼ mole time on the newer V-Rod, but the old one has 120hp and runs a ¼ mile in 11.7 sec.. Not bad for a Harley, but way slow compared to a modern spotbike. What is the catch? I want to spout off statistics, but I want to know if any of you know something that I don’t. Have any of you been smoked by a Harley, or any cruiser for that matter?

If any of you are going to reply with insightful knowledge like “Harleys suck,” please don’t. I am looking for knowledge and experiences, NOT opinion. Furthermore, after doing my research, if I ever switch to a cruiser, the V-Rod would be at the top of my list!
Great looking cruiser!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 AM

While I have never been smoked by a cruiser, I have seen a few...very few try to keep up. There are some cruisers that do have a lot of power but their weight is thier disadvantage. And the cruisers I've seen that could maybe keep up with say older 600cc bikes are not Harleys. I seen Titan or some other chopper looking bike and it was pretty mean but it couldn't have outran my 900, maybe older 600s but thats it.

I admit that I don't like most cruisers but there are a few I like. For instance my friend has a Honda VTX1300 and its got a ton of power for a cruiser. I would say the 1800 or whatever the biggest VTX is would have a lot better chance of outrunning a sportbike but probably still couldn't do it. My friends VTX1300 can keep up with me if I'm at about half throttle which I thought was pretty impressive. Although all I have to do is twist some more and I'm gone so I don't see how unless you have stripped down Most cruisers and maybe added more power that they could outrun most newer sportbikes. Thats not what they are made for and its just not gonna happen unless you build it to do so and thats not what companies make cruisers for...they're for cruising.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 AM

Dude, didn't you post that on the other site?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 AM

Are you replying to me? Cuz I don't remember posting this anywhere else.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 AM

The first thing you have to keep in mind is that 90% of the speed is based on the rider and not the bike. An expirienced rider on a sportster will emberass a newbie on a sportbike.
However if the riders are of comparable skill level, the Vrod will get absolutely mauled at the track. It posts acceleration figures simular to a 600. However, it has virtually no ground clearance with which to corner, the geometry is no designed to be flicked from side to side, and the brakes are going to have a hard time with all the extra weight.

Now on a 1/4mile track the situation is going to be different. Its going to be much easier to make a good pass with a v-rod than it is with a sportbike. The exta length is going to make it less likely to flip over, and the wider powerband should make it easier to launch.

Of that entire series I think the best bike is the street rod. It has descent ground clearance to lean with, and much lighter rims that dont act as sails to catch the wind. However, even if one of those wants to race me, I'd probably ask him to put his title up.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 AM

V-rod vs sportbike

Literally ANY 600cc sportbike made in the last 15 years will walk all over a V-rod. Street, track, whatever. (given equal rider skill)
Frankly, for a V-rod to best a sportbike on a roadracing track, it would take a HUGE amount of skill for the V-rod rider to beat even a mediocre sport rider.

While the V-Rod makes decent power, about 105-110 at the rear wheel, which is about the same as a modern 600, it weighs 620 lbs! (about 200 more than the 600's) In terms of braking and handling performance, they're worlds apart.

I have found that GENERALLY, the Harley crowd tends to be made up of riders that are less educated about the sport and know very little to nothing about bikes outside of their own little sphere. They tend to talk a lot of smack about things they know nothing about.

Last edited by zxrider; 08-08-2007 at 07:11 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I've seen it once. There is a guy who rides in the Intermediate group on a V-rod and while he is the backmarker of the group he was still faster than most of the people in the beginner class.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
I've seen it once. There is a guy who rides in the Intermediate group on a V-rod and while he is the backmarker of the group he was still faster than most of the people in the beginner class.
Amazing! He must've been throwing sparks off of everything on that bike!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Amazing! He must've been throwing sparks off of everything on that bike!
I konw the photographer got some pictures of it but I couldn't find them on her website. I'll have to look harder.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
Dude, didn't you post that on the other site?
Word for word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode