Scary moment! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Exclamation Scary moment!

I had the one of the scariest moments of my motorcycling career last night...and I wasn't even on the bike! I had her up on a rear and front fork stand and was doing a tire change, front brake pad change, and a oil change.

I must have been preoccupied with something else when putting my bike up on the front stand becuase I didn't do it so good. When I started putting the axel in for the front tire THE LEFT FORK SLIPS OFF THE STAND! The bars twist and the right fork completely compresses, however the bike remains on the stand by just the right fork.

I frantically begin making calls to my friends trying to find someone who can help me lift the bike up and get it back on the stand. Well on about the 10th try I find somebody who could help me out.

We eventually got the bike back on the stand which wasn't all that easy. Needless to say, I either need to get a steering column type stand or be more careful when putting my bike up on the fork stand from now on.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM

EEP! Dude I can totally relate...almost lost the new bike at a gas station when some oil caused my stand to slip and i had just enough time to apply counter pressure and save my ride...

I bet your heart was pounding when you were making those calls haha!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 AM

My heart took to beating pretty darn fast when it came to a rear stand matter.

This was on my '00 Honda 929 & the stand is an old gal with the pads. By old I do mean in the mid 70s so bikes of that time along with the '00 Honda 929 does not use the modern method.

The thin soft foam on top of the pads, for traction, had woren out many yrs ago. Also the stand was not made for W-I-D-E wheels & tyres. More like 130 to 140 sized tyres, so every once in a while I would muscle the stand to make it wider.

So hiking the rear end up WHEN suddenly the bike slipped off one bad, but did not fall over. I just had lean it to the prop stand.

With the poor old heart, & really being old, for then I was in my younger year of being 75. So up it went again to slip off again & it do so a max of FIVE times.

That was it so left it alone & into my house. Then realized I had used normal electrician's tape & it is on the slick side. Went out after a cup of tea & used the same tape as used in hockey sticks, being with a fiber in it.

It works, but each time, I go to hike up the rear I do sort of worry a bit. Also it hikes up the rear of my '97 Yamaha YZF 600r, besides the '00 Honda 929. Fortunately another stand for the '03 Honda 954.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode