Anyone near Boulder, Co? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Anyone near Boulder, Co?

Coming up next weekend 9-12th, Gonna spend most of the time climbing, but bringing a bike to check out some roads. Know some roads? Let me know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM

im like 20-30 min away from boulder. but alas my bike's registration has run out and i think im gonna be out of town that weekend. i havent been able to get into the mountains since we moved back but i'll let you know if anything changes or i find out some good roads.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM

My personal favorite

Take Highway 285 South, take a left at Hwy 126 south towards the small town of Pine. Continue through Pine to Deckers, (which becomes Hwy 67. Short on time, turn around and go back the way you came. (very twisty road). Have the whole afternoon?- continue from Deckers on to Woodland Park and then on to Colorado Springs.

Here's a great resource for Colorado motorcycling roads/routes:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/rides.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Re: My personal favorite

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Take Highway 285 South, take a left at Hwy 126 south towards the small town of Pine. Continue through Pine to Deckers, (which becomes Hwy 67. Short on time, turn around and go back the way you came. (very twisty road). Have the whole afternoon?- continue from Deckers on to Woodland Park and then on to Colorado Springs.

Here's a great resource for Colorado motorcycling roads/routes:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/rides.html
lol i asked a neighbor and he told me the exact same route. i gotta get registered and get out there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, leaving tonight, so I should be on those roads tomorrow!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Love to join you Vash, but I've got my hands full this weekend.

What kind of bike are you going to be riding? Renting it I assume.

Advice: with the monsoon season here in full swing, we've had a lot of rain over the last few days. This often leads to some gravely/dirty spots up on the mountain roads, so bear that in mind. However, as of today and for the rest of the week, we're looking at sunny and warm, temps in the mid 90's. Should make for a great ride. (lot of the dirt would probably be cleared up by the weekend)

Last edited by zxrider; 08-08-2007 at 11:40 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Love to join you Vash, but I've got my hands full this weekend.

What kind of bike are you going to be riding? Renting it I assume.
nope, bringing mine. We're driving there, so it wasnt a big deal to just throw it in the back.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Hey Vash, how was the Colorado trip?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Freaking awesome, also I did not get to ride nearly as much as I would've liked.
Got there thursday morning, exhausted and delusional from having been driving thru the night. We spent the first part of the day trying to find places to camp and climb. BTW, they charge $20 a night for a camping spot, which is a freaking robbery.
While my buddy is off to pick someone up from the airport, I decide to ride out the roads in rocky mountain national park. There is one road the heads all the way across the park, and I was almost all the way up that one when the low fuel light came on. All while I am 50 miles from the nearest station. But I did get to play the "lets go down the mountain as fast as I can with the engine off" game, and I have to say, if you havent done that before, try it.
Next day we head out to climb the pear, which is not the most manly of names. Now, I'm following my friend, who is a much better climber than I am. He leads, and I clean up the gear as I follow him. Except that I cant see him, cause he is over a hump somewhere. I'm slowly making my way up two vertical, parallel cracks, I got my feet wedged into the outside walls, and my arms pressing into the inside, bumping my way up, a few inches at a time. And then my foot slips, and I start tumbling and sliding down. Mind you, this is about 150 feet above the ground, and yes, there is a rope that will eventually catch me, but that doesnt make it any less scary. So in some sort of desperation, I wrap my legs around the rock half column in front of me, which stops me, but only after skinning the crap out of my legs. Best part? I still have to finish the climb!
After thats said and done we start on my first multipitch climb (a pitch ir a rope length, 180 feet. multi pitch means one person climbs the length of the rope, the second comes up to that point, and then they trade and keep going). About 300' all together, all diagnal cracks on slab, all in all it was pretty easy, but still a long ways up. The end terminates at this tree, but my friend decided that was far too easy, so he climbs another 20 feet above the tree, before climbing down to it. What this means is that I have to climb to the highest point he did, remove the cam he placed there, and then climb down rather unprotected (I wouldnt fall all the way down, but I would fall about 40-50 feet with a wild swing) which was also rather terrifying. Hey, I'm new to this.
Next day we head down to boulder, to check out the canyon. Instead of climbing we decide to go tubing, it sounds like a nice, relaxing way to spend the day. They tell us to drop the tubes in the water anywhere we want. What they mean is anywhere in the park. What we do is drive a few miles up the canyon and drop off there. That was a mistake. There is no reason to bring a tube into waters that rough. So for the next couple of hours we proceed to get beat up by the rocks and currents and what not. Half the time I'm stuck on some rock. The other half I'm tumbling at some redicoulous speed down little waterfalls. My friend gets chunked out of his tube head first into a rock. We decide to get out early and walk the rest of the way to town, on the really hot sharp gravel, barefoot. Yes, it was better than staying in the river.

Btw, boulder is full of people on bicycles. Its like a tour de france every saturday. Whats with that? They pass us while we are in a truck going down the canyon!
Everyone does their motorcycle riding sunday morning it feel like, and suprisingly enough most everyone I saw was in leathers. I was looking jelously from inside a cage, thinking about the bike I left at the campsite.
Went to climb in golden that day, on the walls overlooking the coors factory and the train yards. That was pretty cool. The climbs are pretty hard (for me) but short. But at least its all bolted, so you dont have to worry about wether or not the gear is in there good, or if your rope is going to come out.
Last day we went to climb castle rock down in boulder canyon. Or rather attempt to climb. My buddy got up 2 routes with some difficulty, me I couldnt make its past the first few moves. We got videos of us jumping for a hold and missing it, over and over again.
The only roads I got to ride were 7,119, and 72, in between boulder and estas park. I was keeping the speed down to something reasonable, since I'm not that familuar with the roads, and more importantly with the police presence on them. But it was fun to fly out the little wave sign to cruisers passing by while at hanging off as far as I could... BTW, whats with the 40mph speedlimits? I mean those are nice twisty roads and all, but 90 felt like a very comfortable and safe corner speed.

I definetly plan on coming back, next year or the one after. The roads are too good to miss out on, i want to climb "The Book" on lumpy ridge, and come back to castle rock and see if I can do any better. I dont know if I'll be back next year or the one after, but I'll be back.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 01:05 PM

Glad you made it back in (relatively) one piece. Sounds like you had a great time! That climbing sounds pretty exciting. The one thing that Iím afraid of is heights. Although Iíve tried to get over it (climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge in Australia for example), but even with all the safety equipment in the world Iíve never really been comfortable with it. Some of the things you describe wouldíve definitely had me stressing! Hats off to you. As for the tubing- that sounds just plain crazy!

The roads up to Estes Park are really nice. As you noticed, twice the posted speed limit is about right. Lots of wide open sweepers there. Iíve always been lucky to not have come across any law enforcement during my rides up that way. Guess they just happened to be out when you came. Your right about the coasting thing down the backside of Rocky Mountain National Park.- fun. Iíve tried that a few times, but not because I was running out of gas!

Too bad I missed ya on this trip, but maybe we can get some rides in when you make it out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode