Going to court - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Going to court

About a month ago I got a ticket for running a red light on my mc. It was 3am in the morning and I was at an offramp going to turn left. I was stopped at the red light for more than 5 minutes. I didn't see a single car the whole time I was there. So I looked behind me and both ways and still no cars so I just went. Soon as I get in the intersection I saw the lights of the highway patrol car pulling me over.

When I pulled over I explained why I had done it and the officer told me I reeked of alcohol. I had 1 beer over an hour ago. After going through the DUI tests and only blowing a 0.01 she realised I wasn't drunk and was alot nicer. She wrote me the ticket for the minimum $85 and said I should go to court and explain it and maybe the judge would let me off. Her partner even told me she runs red lights on her mc all the time.

So I'm going to court in the morning. I don't care as much about the fine as I don't want it on my record. My insurance is high enough already.

Anyone else ever been in this situation and went to court for it? What are my chances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM

Have the ticket in hand. Explain your situation to DA or the assistant. Also, point out how you were stopped at 3am and make sure you show that on the ticket. Not to mention there should be a little box that states the level of traffic, which should be minimal. There shouldn't be a big of a hassle if you act nice and don't know what your doing.

BTW, here in NC the nice lawmakers are trying to pass a bill that would give bikers the ability to make left turns on red lights after waiting 3 minutes.

http://wral.com/news/local/politics/story/1518111/

Print that out and show the DA. Clarify to the DA about how frustrating it is to wait a very long time and having the light cycle a half of dozen times, skipping you.

Last ditch effort would be to continue the case and lawyer up.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
i got pulled in my cage doing 98mph in a 65 and my license was suspended. i took it to court and the officer never showed, the judge even made me wait as she went through the dockett but i was able to walk without spending a dime on fines.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM

I went to traffic court once to clear a mishap, I ended up having to come back 2 separate times! Be percitant though!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Judge said it happens to him alot in his cage and he never ran the light. He said I should have "shook" the mc back and forth and to go pay the $85 fine.

I bet alot to him is once a month. This crap happens to me every single night at at least 2 different intersections on my way home from work in the middle of the night.

Last edited by Smoooth; 08-01-2007 at 10:04 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM

Got pulled over in Nevada for doing 95 in a 65 and the cop saw i had my car packed with all my contents of my room...explained to the officer that i was moving to michigan (from cali) and he told me to slow down and wrote me a ticket for 10mph over the posted speed limit.

I'm sure the judge will understand...bring him a muffin.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoooth
Judge said it happens to him alot in his cage and he never ran the light. He said I should have "shook" the mc back and forth and to go pay the $85 fine.

I bet alot to him is once a month. This crap happens to me every single night at at least 2 different intersections on my way home from work in the middle of the night.
What? You should have asked the judge if he's on crack. Light sensors are triggered by the amount of steel/iron that's detected on the road. A car will trip off the meters because, OMG, its built using steel/iron... Even carbonfiber/alumium cars have trouble triggering lights.

A Sportbike is made from Aluminum, which is not magnetic. There's maybe 1lbs of steel on it from washers... So they aren't detected by the sensors in the road. Even if you rock back and forth, that does nothing. You have to be smoking something if you think rocking back and forth creates an electromagnetic charged particals and someone triggers the sensor... I'm wtf.

Seriously, comparing a motorcycle to a car is like comparing an elephant to the moon. That's how HUGE the difference is.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Take a video camera and a friend, go to the same intersection @ 3am, and get at least 10 minutes of tape of you sitting at the light. Start playing it for the judge, tell him how long the tape is, and wait to hear 'dismissed'. Your chances are about the best for any ticket you could get. Go for it.

Last edited by Rundog; 08-01-2007 at 05:34 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Strength and Honor

I presume appeal is out then? If there's a next time bring in all the info on how these work and even video yourself doing the "shake" the judge recommended but which we all know won't work.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
What? You should have asked the judge if he's on crack. Light sensors are triggered by the amount of steel/iron that's detected on the road. A car will trip off the meters because, OMG, its built using steel/iron... Even carbonfiber/alumium cars have trouble triggering lights.

A Sportbike is made from Aluminum, which is not magnetic. There's maybe 1lbs of steel on it from washers... So they aren't detected by the sensors in the road. Even if you rock back and forth, that does nothing. You have to be smoking something if you think rocking back and forth creates an electromagnetic charged particals and someone triggers the sensor... I'm wtf.

Seriously, comparing a motorcycle to a car is like comparing an elephant to the moon. That's how HUGE the difference is.
Many lights work with a camera sensor with abit of image recognition.. It looks for the picture to change by a predetermined level. In that case, shaking the bike back and forth might just help. Flipping your brights on sure does. However taking the video idea is still damn entertaining.

In my expirience, you stand a higher chance of success if you try to talk the cop out of writing you a ticket in the first place ("Is there any way I could purchase a temporary permit?"), than try to reason with the judge...

As far as magnetic materials go, your crank and cam shafts are steel. So is your chain. There is a good chance the valves are too. Parts of the alternator have to be magnetic. And no one makes aluminum bearings. So its abit more than just a pound of washers (most of which are aluminum btw). However, tying a small magnet to the bottom of the fairing sure helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode