does this happen to you?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

does this happen to you??

so when i ride more aggressively and get the rpm's up high like between maybe 9k and redline for some reason my bike won't shift all the way to second gear but gets stuck in neutral and it feels really rough when i try to push it up in second from neutral after. it doesn't do this in any other gear and it's only when the rpms are up pretty high...does anyone know whats goin on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 PM

The throw from 1st to 2nd is quite long when shifting. Just because of the high gear ratio, your dealing with a lot more torque that you need to overcome by kicking the shit out of the lever to "jam" it into 2nd gear. You have to remember that Neutral is in the way so it's like kicking twice the distance as shifting from 2 to 3 and such.

Pretty much every sportbike I've ridden has a sense of "klunkiness" from 1st to 2nd. Yamaha's, specially older r6/r1's, have klunky gearboxes.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

thats cool....I just wanted to make sure i wasn't gonna break anything b/c this is my first bike and last year i wasn't brave enough to ride it this hard...lol Also while i'm posting is there anyway to change the position of the gear lever so that i can fit my entire boot under there. I got some icon boots bot they don't fit completely under the lever.

btw it's a 98 gsxr 600

Last edited by m3atwad; 07-30-2007 at 07:25 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Do you experience this while shifting with or without the clutch ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

with...i have never tried to shift without the clutch. it's pulled in all the way when i shift.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 PM

Though I have been riding sportbikes since they first came on the market to many yrs of building cafe racers---being basically street Brit irons into road racers--though street legal & have never had any of the bikes that close to red-line in first gear & then trying to shift into 2nd especially when on the public roads.

Road racing with some of the modified Brit irons to some of the true road racers & on the road racing circuits I have been close to red-line & never found I was into neutral from the shift up to 2nd.

Just a thought, for in reality who would be winding the 'ell out of a bike on the public roads? Well I can say, but will not.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

umm...didn't really understand what you said smitty, but for the record i'm not racing just getting on the interstate via maxing out first gear which basically takes me to the speed limit...not continuing on through the gears this way by any means.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 AM

Adjusting that shift lever to better fit your boot is going to make all the difference. You should miss a lot less shifts that way.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM

There is a good point by ZXrider in adjusting the gear change lever to your foot & your boot. Like all bikes the foot & control levers are just mounted & it is up to the rider to make the individual rider make minior to large changes that will suit them when riding or racing.

Like my gear change lever is extremely high, to where I even had to remove the gearchange lever from the spline for the big change because of a 'heel spur' which I thought had to do with a trick ankle of my left ankle that has been damaged so many times, basically from flat tracking, dirt hill climbing, MXing & Cross Country racing.

Though I think most have the lever a bit to high from the factory setting & it can, depending upon the footwear, be moved down a fraction.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM

i would drop the shift lever adjust a bit. i actually do that with most bikes i buy right away. you can also try snapping the throttle shut at the instant you make the shift. sometimes better oil will make a big difference, maybe try a synthetic. its prabably just your style....or lack of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode