Hunting down a shop - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
SNM

Talking Hunting down a shop

Hey everybody!

Just wondering what you look for in a shop... I've worked in several businesses similar to shops, a few years in mountain biking shops, and I'm a partsman now. I have seen both sides of the counter, and I know what to look for (But only in those industries.)

I'm just wondering, since many of you have been riding for years and all of you have also been consumers of bike products, what kind of things do you look for in a shop? I'm currently looking around my reigon for a good shop to deal with, I've got several places to choose from - At least a dozen within an hour and a half away. I don't care much about distance, if a shop is good then I've no problem travelling to get there, good service is important to me.

I have pretty basic goals; I'd like to find a shop that doesn't ignore me when I walk in, where the sales and service guys actually care about what they do and how they act. It's be nice if the place is clean, reputable and reliable. Pretty basic.

What I'd like to ask you guys is, what do you look for? Aside from the basics I have in mind, are there any things I should look out for? I won't be going to a shop where anyone's on commission... Open to your thoughts! Cheers!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Re: Hunting down a shop

Quote:
Originally posted by SNM
...I have pretty basic goals; I'd like to find a shop that doesn't ignore me when I walk in, where the sales and service guys actually care about what they do and how they act. It's be nice if the place is clean, reputable and reliable. Pretty basic...
Yep, that just about covers it.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Hunting down a shop

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Yep, that just about covers it.
When looking for a shop for repairs I stay away from the ones with a super clean work area or a completely messy one--if they have time to totally clean the work area they aren't working enough and if they are totally messy they obviously don't give a shit about keeping things nice or clean. The pretty clean but not totally cleaned up work area shops are the ones I go to to have stuff done although I do most stuff myself. Also doesn't hurt if they are recommended by someone whose opinion you trust.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
SNM

Awesome, keep 'em coming...

The more information I have, the deadlier I become!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 AM

I like the shops where you can ask the guy there about good trips and he will tell you his favorite roads, and interesting things along the way. In other words, find someone with both experience fixing bikes, and with riding them. It's also a good idea to see what he is riding. If it's a sportser with the stock harley flames and a white skull painted over the clear coat I would probably try to find a different shop.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 AM

I agree along the lines of WASD. My local powersports place started as just the closest shop but now after spending much time there talking to people. I have a couple good friends there. When I goto a shop my first stop is talking to the mechs then the parts guys. I stay away from sales unless I am buying that day really.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 AM

Send a PM to smitty, he's owned a couple shops.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by WSU Tony
Send a PM to smitty, he's owned a couple shops.....
FYI: Smitty doesn't take PMs or email.

I just visited a dealership this weekend and was happy the guy was willing to work price with me on an opened bottle of Engine Ice. So, some flexibility is nice to see too. Also, when I owned an '80s sportbike it was handy having someone who either knew or could track down aftermarket alternatives to manu parts. In other words, patience.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 PM

Having just purchased my first bike, I can go ahead and say a few thing which stuck out about my experience with this particular dealership so far.

First, the guys were happy to help...i know i know...they should be...but these guys were the guys who all told about their bikes and showed me them in the parking lot.

Second, the guys were willing to discuss other makes/models which their dealership didn't carry. They not only told me why each model was great...they told me individual reasons why they might not be as good as others. Bonus.

Third, they heavily discounted extras and threw a few things in on the purchase.

Fourth, the guys at the shop and even the gm invited me to join them on a group ride (which happens each thursday) and were totally open to me bringing friends. Gotta love the biking community.

Fifth, a guy was there who was looking to buy his third 954 cbr since he had recently dropped his second. Eep. Anyway, he was a leader of a local club and invited me to join him and his friends on a ride and to join the club if I liked what I experienced.

There are more reasons, but these would be the top five that I can see haven't been mentioned yet...

oh...i absolutely love my CBR as well =)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
SNM

Sounds like you found an awesome shop!

How is the CBR600RR? That's actually the bike I'm leaning towards, but I'd like to hear about the bike from someone who owns one, not just 'a friend of a friend' or a sales guy. If you wouldn't mind giving me some info on the bike I'd appreciate it, i.e. how it handles, is it comfortable on longer rides, etc... basically, am I looking at any surprises after purchase? Thanks in advance mate!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode