My Longest Ride Ever - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

My Longest Ride Ever

I haven't posted here in a while; I've been deployed, busy with kids, such and such.

My wife's out of town this week so I decided to head out to Yosemite yesterday. It turned into an 11 hour ride with short breaks for rest! That's the longest I've been on either of my two bikes (used to have a Z750S, it's not sold here anymore, it was a one year deal for Kawi). Man, by the end of it, I could barely hold myself up on the tank. I almost had to crawl to my door. It was all pretty fun except for the last two hours. Then it just got miserable.

But Yosemite was worth it, some very nice roads on 120 heading out there from the Bay area.

What's the longest ride you all have tried on a sportbike?

Oh yeah, it was on an 07 GSXR750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:12 AM

One member is on an 11 hour ride right now on a zx-11 i think
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:28 PM

I've been out more than once on 6-7 hour trips to the somewhat-local twisties and country lands with a few breaks for food and gas. Always came home feelin' alright; back, legs, and clutch hand were a little sore but that's actually good.

I heard about energy drinks giving people a spike and decided to try one today when I went out riding. I chugged a 16oz something or other loaded with caffeine and 30 other things before I went out but it did exactly nothing. I was seemingly pretty focused, though. Maybe I should bring a tank bag of energy drinks on my long trips so I don't lowside on hour 7 again?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
...Maybe I should bring a tank bag of energy drinks on my long trips so I don't lowside on hour 7 again?
The problem with that is the constant pee stops.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:04 PM

With temps from 80-90F with almost as much humidity you sometimes can't pee enough. When I took my MSF course in the middle of one hot, spider-infested parking lot an instructor pointed to a port-a-loo and said "If you aren't using this, you aren't drinking enough".
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Vacaville is a nice launching spot for lots of great Northern California riding areas. I tend to do most of my long, fun rides up the coast on the PCH, and back through Clearlake. Yosemite is fun, except that traffic can be slow in the Summer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

I can't imagine going on an 11 hour ride. I take breaks every 2 hours, ambe 2 and a half or three if I were pushing it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
How many miles did you get in?

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
One member is on an 11 hour ride right now on a zx-11 i think
That was me! except it was a f3 raichu ...jeez.

I just did a 14 hour ride back home this weekend. Pretty killer but man was it a blast. Oh and I put 1200+ miles on my bike just this last weekend.

Last edited by poppincaps88; 07-30-2007 at 03:54 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 PM

In decent riding weather be it on any of the three sportbikes I will clock from 5 to 8+ hrs around 4 to 5 days a week. I feel it is the 5 to 6 to 7 hrs of riding that make 8 or 8+ to not be such a toll on this old body. Note all of these are up here in the Cdn Rockie Mtn roads that can be twisty up down to lane to three lane to four lane roads. Preference is for two-lane.

Usually I have some restaurant in a small town that accepts me where I can stop off for brunch being a muffin & a few mugs of coffee plus my bike will be outside of said restaurant & all sort of guarding it---the advantages of using small towns.

Always a cool bottle of water, a roll of toilet paper--well 1/3 of it in plastic container in case my timing is out of order.

I start off early in the morning so it is a bit cool & also not to much traffic, but on the way home the gear I am wearing will be to warm, but then I open up the zippers & such. No real toll on this old body, but feel the 5 or 7 hr runs are more to my liking though I always stop to stretch to take a break & the half-way break is at the restaurant.

I do not do longer then 8+ hr runs that is for sure.

Lastly about the ONLY time I might putter around town is to pay the bank, pick up some medication from a drugstore, visit my PO box, possibly visit a dentist or my GP Doctor. So in other words I do not putter around town as my main riding. For groceries I use my cage & have a list I have already written out & hope I take it with me or I am guessing & will forget something like 4 L of milk & have to go back again for some I forgot.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-31-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode