Taking my first really long ride tomorrow.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Taking my first really long ride tomorrow..

So tomorrow I'm setting out from San Francisco and heading to San Diego for the weekend. I'm gonna alternate between taking the 101S and the Pacific Coast 1. So the ride itself should be quite breathtaking and anyone that knows about the 1 around Big Sur knows that it's a blast to ride through.

I've gone through google maps and they estimate that it should take me about 11 hours to get there. It's gonna be my first ride thats over 7 hours and I'm just looking for any pointers.

What kind of food to eat beforehand, how often should I stop, any good energy drinks that don't leave you feeling nasty afterward, basically how should I go about preparing before the trip? And how should I do things during it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Well, if you've done 7 hour rides, you know that 11 hour rides are going to be like the 7 hour ride, except almost doubled. That's a long drive in a car, let alone a sportbike. Add a couple hours for pee and stretch breaks, because you'll need them. No, add more than that. I'll easily add a couple hours to an otherwise 8 hour ride.

As far as what to drink - water is the best. Avoid coffee, tea and soda, since they are diuretics. Energy drinks too. But, as you reach hour 8 or 9, I'll bet you'll be craving a few beers. My official call is to tell you to avoid those too.

As far as what to eat, obviously you don't want to bonk out there, but riding isn't exactly an athletic event either, just a strain on the joints and muscles. You don't really need to alter your eating habits, except that I would a) not overeat, and b) avoid foods that "pass through" quickly. Personally, I think a nice, juicy burger is a yummy thing to eat on a long road trip.

As far as other preparation - aside from the standard things like emergency flat repair kits, etc... prepare for the real possibility that you just might not make it in one day to do cramping, so take the necessary cash or credit card for such contingencies. The real key to rides like this is to make enough, and long enough rest stops so you don't cramp and end up in a lot of pain near the end.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Personally, I would not want to do an 11-hour ride. But then again, I'm gettin' old.

Seriously, that is a pretty long ride. Plus, since it is quite scenic, I'd want to give some extra time to "smell the roses" and check things out along the way. I would definitely consider doing an overnight stay along your route. Otherwise, halfway into your ride you're just gonna want to wish it would end and start rushing things to get to your final destination. And what fun is that?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 PM

It is a LONG ride I will agree. Though I am old, my limit is 8+ hrs on terrian I know darn well so no surprises. Like I know every darn twisty, to tight banking, to places to be prepered down for safety------in other words like a logging rig driver that pounds the same roads weekly to several times a week.

Make sure you have a good dump before you start rolling. Water is all I carry & all I drink. Part way along my run I have a small town restaurant or two that know me well so when I pop in they are prepared to take care of my needs & basically they are the same with no worry about my m/c as it is parked right out in front of their windows.

As mine are shorting runs then your 11 hrs I eat darn little & even when I come home. Take a look at the weather & hope to gosh is is going to be a dry run.

Like up your refills for fuel well before you start to get low on fuel & stretch a bit at each place or right after it, to where you stop off for a bit to eat.

I often find the day has been stressing & will find a pretty cleam place like a tree with a bit of grass that I can park under, bull out a power bar, & have it along with water. Often I end up having a snooze & sometimes the RCMP want to know if I am well or not. Good for them for it woke me up for the rest of the trip. This latter bit is when I am riding some roads I am not that familiar in.

Mister Tee has iven you some good tips. If you are starting to feel the strain or making small errors then TIME to call it quits & find yourself a motel where your plastic money card will do the job.

I was only 35 miles from home, had clocked around 300 miles plus not much of a rest from the race the day before, at an MX event & could feel I was pooped out, even though pulling a trailer by my Jeep, with my two MX irons in, but realized I could not make it home without possibly having an accident, if it was up to me to make the quicky movements compared to an error by someone else. Went to a motel & early the next moring, feeling so much more alive I made the rest of the trip.
------------------------------------
For the interest of you or others in my 6 to 8+ hr runs, as said I know which roads I am pounding. Around half-way point I drop into a small restaurant in a small town. They know it is my True Brunch time for in the morning I take off without having b/fast or any food to even coffee, tea or water. So a muffin & a couple of cups of coffee is the answer & besides it gives me time to stretch out for in 30 minutes I will be riding again.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-26-2007 at 01:03 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys it's all really really appreciated. I'm bringing plenty of cash in case I need to stop overnight as well as a couple of credit cards just in case. I'm also making sure that I get plenty of rest tonight since I'm planning to leave around 7am to avoid traffic. Mister Tee you and I have the same idea of good ride food. I can't wait to stop in Santa Barbara and grab a burger...my mouth just watered thinking about it. The only reason I asked about food was because a considerable portion of my ride is gonna be in the twisties. Didn't know if anyone had a food of choice for that particular type of riding . Oh and smitty thanks for the power bar suggestion, thats what I usually have when I go snowboarding to avoid feeling bloated while boarding...not a good feeling. Gotta make sure to grab a few of those.

I'm definitely going to make sure to take my time and avoid rushing anything. The whole point afterall is to enjoy it and have fun just like zx rider said. Hopefully it will be good weather the whole way but I'm packing some rain gear just in case. I'm probably going to be carrying one of the axio hardpacks on my back the whole way so hopefully it won't add to much strain. Makes me glad sometimes the ergos on my f3 are a little bit easier to live with then newer 600's.

Thanks for mentioning the flat tire kit, I'll have to make sure to grab one tonight in case of anything. Just sent the bike in for some maintenance and a checkup to make sure it's up to the task. A new diablo on the rear and diablo corsa on the front should make the ride nice and enjoyable..at least after a 100miles of scrubbing them in first.

Oh and zx rider...you're never too old for an 11hr ride...especially when you've got a zx11 to make quick work of it!

Overall guys I'm pretty psyched, hopefully this will be one of many longer rides to come, though I might have to think about buying a VFR if this keeps up...

Thanks again for the help guys, this is the kind of stuff that make me glad I joined this board. Maybe I'll be able to take some good pictures to post up when I get back. Just don't expect Jbaz level photography or anything.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM

************************************************** ************************************************** ****

for energy eat complex-carbohydrates such as pasta. I am a XC runner and they are awesome energy-meals!

Try having pasta the night before. Also, when riding, eat peanut butter beacuse it will coat the inside of your stomach and you will remain full/energized longer!

Avoid gatorades, soda, or anything with sodium in it.

Also, if you have to stop (which you probably will), make sure you eat a bunch of small portions, rather than one or two huge meals. This way, your digestive tract will remain relaxed, therefore avoiding any discomfort while riding
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 PM

And now for some sage words of advice from SBW's most senior member...

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
...Make sure you have a good dump before you start rolling...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

^^ Best piece of advise I think I've gotten so far. Who can help but like smitty?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I'm probably going to be carrying one of the axio hardpacks on my back the whole way so hopefully it won't add to much strain.
I road with a backpack for 3 hrs one time and then went to cortech and bought some saddle bags and tank bag.. I will never.. I repeat NEVER ride with a backpack again.. They kill me on a long trip.. Good luck and ride safe on ur trip.. I envy you!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by poppincaps88
Thanks for the advice guys it's all really really appreciated. I'm bringing plenty of cash in case I need to stop overnight as well as a couple of credit cards just in case. I'm also making sure that I get plenty of rest tonight since I'm planning to leave around 7am to avoid traffic. Mister Tee you and I have the same idea of good ride food. I can't wait to stop in Santa Barbara and grab a burger...my mouth just watered thinking about it. The only reason I asked about food was because a considerable portion of my ride is gonna be in the twisties. Didn't know if anyone had a food of choice for that particular type of riding . Oh and smitty thanks for the power bar suggestion, thats what I usually have when I go snowboarding to avoid feeling bloated while boarding...not a good feeling. Gotta make sure to grab a few of those.

I'm definitely going to make sure to take my time and avoid rushing anything. The whole point afterall is to enjoy it and have fun just like zx rider said. Hopefully it will be good weather the whole way but I'm packing some rain gear just in case. I'm probably going to be carrying one of the axio hardpacks on my back the whole way so hopefully it won't add to much strain. Makes me glad sometimes the ergos on my f3 are a little bit easier to live with then newer 600's.

Thanks for mentioning the flat tire kit, I'll have to make sure to grab one tonight in case of anything. Just sent the bike in for some maintenance and a checkup to make sure it's up to the task. A new diablo on the rear and diablo corsa on the front should make the ride nice and enjoyable..at least after a 100miles of scrubbing them in first.

Oh and zx rider...you're never too old for an 11hr ride...especially when you've got a zx11 to make quick work of it!

Overall guys I'm pretty psyched, hopefully this will be one of many longer rides to come, though I might have to think about buying a VFR if this keeps up...

Thanks again for the help guys, this is the kind of stuff that make me glad I joined this board. Maybe I'll be able to take some good pictures to post up when I get back. Just don't expect Jbaz level photography or anything.
Well, sounds like you are all set. Hope you have a great time. Stay safe out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode