Whats up? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Whats up?

Hey guys, im new here, obviously.

Well I love bikes, even though I dont know too much about them, I still have an infinate passion for sportsbikes and stunts.

I'll introduce myself real quick. Im Andrew, 16, prolly youngest guy here right? Haha, well im homeschooled, and hopefully getting my GED in a couple of months, and as a gift, my stepdad is buying me a bike finally, and I cant decide over which one, the choice is between these two:

http://www.mykissimmeemotorsports.co...h2=37793&go=Go

The price difference isnt the issue, but 600 is the max my parents will let me get right now. I dont like the upright position too much, but I want a good sports bike, and I want it loud, but not illegal loud, . And the loud is the style I like, im not just a new guy who sees the attention loud bikes get, im just in love with it. Well, I hope you guys can help me out without flaming me haha.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Up_And_Coming; 07-20-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Welcome to SBW, Andrew (<-standard greeting )

Go into the new riders section, and read some "new rider" threads, as these grounds have been covered many times before. There is some very usefull info in there.

Don't forget to budget in cash for good gear, it WILL save you life and limb.

Enjoy you time here, mate.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 03:04 PM

It's great that your parents are behind you on this, but honestly, at 16, you should be looking to spend a year or two in a cage (car) first.

You really need to get some road experience instead of trying to learn to ride a bike AND the road at the same time.

After that, look into 250's or 500's MAX to learn on.

Welcome to the party!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 PM

You are petty young to be looking at such bikes. I fully agree with cookee & his post. You need to be a DRIVER of a cage first before you step into the world of m/cing which is so different. Being a passenger in a car is one thing though being a driver of car is so different & you will soon realize the world out there amongst cages is dangerous SO even more so when it comes to the m/c world.

I fear your parents & stepdad do not realize what powerful bikes you have in mind. Any four cylinder sportbike is a replica of a road racing bike which means a very, very picky engine with very steep fork rake plus dramatic stopping power. A slight error on such a bike & you will have hit the pavement hard. Rebuilding the bike, if possibly, is overly costly & often half the price of a NEW bike.

Looking at the parallel 650cc twin is really like the second step to someone that put in a season riding a 500cc parallel twin by Suzy or Kwacker for this bike has good pull at lower RMP, but 80hp is a bit to much. The 500s offer 50hp & darn fast when the stop light turns green---faster then most cages on line & will scoot you up to 100mph without sweat.

Insurance is another thing & believe me it is costly & even more so when you obtain a sportbike for the insurance people charge big dollars knowing it is a sportbike & even dropped at almost nil speeds it is costly to replace broken parts In fact I had studied the price of some sportbikes that have gone down at city speed limits & it costs around $1,400.00 while going down at highway speeds is around half he price of a new bike unless you can do all the work yourself & have the maze of tools needed--though if the frame is damaged, in either case, the bike is TOTALLED according to the insurance people.

Untill you are 25 yrs of age you will be paying through the nose ESPECIALLY if you have a sportbike. Toss in the cost of protective riding gear & things will start to become costly.

True when 16 yrs of age I was driving an old '36 Chev panel truck & also riding an Indian SportScout 45SV & a Harley 45SV. Note these could punch out 25hp if all was perfect which is only half of the 500cc bikes I have mentioned & the 650cc is with a maze of power while the 600cc four was never even dreamed of back in 1946.

Yet by '47 I was into flat tracking & dirt hill climbing & before the season was over I had an Expert License on both. Many other forms of competition by '48.

So take your time & learn more of what the world of m/cing is like plus become accustom to the world of driving a cage.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-21-2007 at 05:33 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
really good gear, for when you bust your ass doing "StUnTZ"
and really good insurance on whatever bike you buy so when your squidy McGee self wrecks your new bike doin some stunting, you can get it replaced
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to OneKneeDown
good insurance, good gear, and good health plan. stuntaz o lyfe!

1997 Chevy S10ss (sold)
1995 Eclipse GS-T (sold)
1998 Yamaha Zuma(retired)
1978 Honda CB750four (project cafe-racer)
1990 Silverado Z71 White Lightnin!

"young kids... old school." a mans outlook on Chris (Xx954HxCafexX) and I pulling up on the old (yet still very badass) Hondas.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:20 PM

get a cage first dude, dont make your first vehicle a car unless you have previous experience on other vehicles. learning the basics of the road in something that people are used to is better than learning on something that people dont keep as much of an eye out for. but dont be discouraged!! still get that bike!! when your ready.....but get it used!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Meat_Shield
get a cage first dude, dont make your first vehicle a car unless you have previous experience on other vehicles...
I think you meant, "...don't make your first vehicle a BIKE..."

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Howdy,

I haven't read other member's responses here, but I trust their judgment and advice. You'll learn a lot from these guys, specially smitty. Ask questions and seek advice. I started out here before I bought a bike and everyone has been very helpful.

Enjoy, and welcome to SBW
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode