front/rear stand? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

front/rear stand?

Being in Colorado, their is a thing called winter that can be hard on bikes. I have seen several people use the front/rear stands on a daily basis. I was just wondering if I should buy a stand to use during the winter. I'm not sure if it's hard on the bike to sit for a couple months on the sidestand. Just looking for some opinions. Money well spent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
When I was in NJ and even now in SoCal, I baby my bikes... I place a rubber-backed industrial carpet under the bike and use the Condor stand.

The mats can be found in Home Depot or the like and the rubber blocks the moisture from rising and degrading the tires...
Sample Mat

The Condor stand will keep the bike upright without worries of earthquakes here in CA, which the standard rear/front stand would come down quickly.
Condor Stand

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
|
|
|

|
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Though speaking of one that has lived up in Western Canada for said 60 yrs------I can tell you that even at our m/c shops we would put bikes away for customers, several of my comp bikes were stored in the normal cold building. We simply did the usual lube before winter, no fuel replenisher in those days, though now I use it, the batteries were removed to be put on shelves & I would check them inside our main shop. The bike & the tyres were leaned up against the wall or hoisted on some make-shift sort of stand just to keep the bike upright. Were perfect come spring time.

I do not even remove the batteries from my 3 sportbikes for they are non-servicable batteries & I have three Battery Tenders I plug the bike's batteries into at the end of the day AND SAME IN THE WINTER TIME cold as it may be.

Come spring all I do is look around to check the tyre pressure, check the oil for no oil leaking, disconnect the BTs hit the starter button & whichever bike fires up like a charm & runs like a charm.

No kidding that is all that is needed. If you have the money for a front & rear stand then buy them, though I would definately have one for the rear as it allows you to work on the chain, rear wheel, & such.

Yes 60 yrs of doing the same & all worked like a charm. Every darn customer would go over the bike when handed over to them & narry one complained even once.

I know there are a maze of wifes-tales dreamed up by the writers for m/c mags & they must have a wonderful time in dreaming up said ideas, though in fact what I did & still do was/is all that is needed.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-20-2007 at 06:49 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

ok. well i've been looking at the rear stands. What is notable brand of stand? And also can someone tell me what the difference is between the spool and nonspool stands. I have an 04 Gixxer 600. Thanks for all of your help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:14 AM

Spool stands are easier to deal with than non-spool stands, particularly on your 05 gsxr. A non-spool stand has supports that contact the bottom of the swingarm, and it's a PITA to maneuver the right side under the brake line (I know from experience.)

Spooled stands will contact spool extensions that screw in to the little threaded holes on the rear of the swingarm.

I would recommend taking your bike to the dealer, or shop to check the fit of the stand though. Most non-spool stands fit pretty universally, but some spool stand and spool combinations don't work out. Pit Bull makes a good stand, but there are a few others out there. I use a Suzuki factory rear stand, and a Pit Bull front fork stand.

I agree that storing your bike on the stands is probably a bit overkill, but they sure come in handy for maintenance and cleaning.

Oh yeah, and get the shortest spools that will work with your stand. Extended spools can sometimes break off at the mount.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM

Lots of good makes & Pit Bull is probably the best, I might have to get a simply pad or non-spool type for the one I have dates back to the very early 80s, when something like a 140 was a broad tyre. Meaning every so often I would have to lock one part & then put muscle & weight to widen it so it can take in the (160 & then the 190) modern 190 tyres.

I do have a non-name spool type that was given to me & fortunarely fits the '03 Honda 954, but the '00 Honda 929 was NOT fitted with spools & neither was the '97 Yamaha YZF600r. Makers in those days did not realize the importance of the easy of hooking onto & hiking up the rear end without the darn thing slipping off of one of the pads-----that just about give one a heart attack. So that shows how some of he makers were out of tune with heir buyers of the public. Surprising is it not?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
The main reason for front and rear stands in the winter are to avoid "flat spotting" your tires. The softer tires you are running the faster they will flat spot. Most ultra-high street performance tires won't flat spot during a winter.

Another good reason to get some stands is mainteance. Its a little eaiser to wrench on the bike when its on stands. Tire changes are also a lot cheaper if the tires are off the bike, another reason to get stands.

If you are really putting your stands to work get pitbull, however I've had good experiences with Vortex stands also. If you are just using them lightly you can get away with t-rex stands from ebay which are really cheap. If you are going to be sitting on the bike while its on the stand I'd go with a rear stand without an adjustable height like the t-rex stands.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:03 AM
Strength and Honor

I agree with ryan about Pitbulls being the Cadillac of stand manufacturers. However, I believe this whole flat spot thing to be merely an old wives' tale. I have yet to see anyone I respect indicate they actually observed this and I don't put my bike on stands over the winter: no problems to date.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode