Guy clocked at 160 on a bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Guy clocked at 160 on a bike

Man clocked at 160 mph on motorcycle convicted of reckless driving
http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/124204

A North Carolina man who was clocked doing 160 mph on a motorcycle on Interstate 81 was sentenced to spend 12 months in jail and pay a $2,500 fine.

Twenty-year-old Kevin Michael Buorkan pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor counts of reckless driving in Botetourt County General District Court this morning. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors dropped one of the charges. Buorkan waived his right to a preliminary hearing on a felony charge of eluding police, and he immediately appealed the reckless driving conviction to circuit court.

Judge Louis Campbell levied the harshest sentence he could under the law. In addition to jail time and a fine, Buorkan will lose his license for six months.

“He’s the one they were saving the maximum for,” Campbell said.

Buorkan, who is from Asheville, N.C., was first spotted by state police around 9 p.m. on April 28. He was heading north on I-81 in Roanoke County on his 2003 Yamaha YZF600R when a trooper clocked him going more than 80 mph, according to court testimony. By the time another trooper spotted him near mile marker 151, he was going 160 mph. The second trooper caught up to him around mile 153, after Buorkan was slowed by traffic, police said. Buorkan went onto the right shoulder, then swerved across to the left lane and back again. He got off at exit 162 and wrecked after hitting some mud. He wasn’t injured, and he didn’t try to run, police said.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
More:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/124245

160 mph dash takes man to maximum sentence
A motorcyclist involved in a 28-mile chase through two counties was fined $2,500 and given a year in jail.
By Joe Kendall
981-3340

Motorcycle magazine Sport Rider lists the Yamaha YZF600R's top speed at 152 mph, but in April a North Carolina man pushed his bike past that benchmark in Botetourt County, state police say.

Kevin M. Buorkan was clocked at 160 mph at one point during a 28-mile chase on Interstate 81 that led state police through two counties.

On Friday, Buorkan was fined $2,500 and sentenced to a year in jail -- and he could face even more time after a grand jury hears his case.

Buorkan, a resident of Asheville, N.C., received the harshest sentence that speeding carries in Virginia.

"He's the one they were saving the maximum for," said Botetourt County General District Court Judge Louis Campbell.

The 20-year-old Buorkan was charged with misdemeanor counts of speeding and reckless driving and a felony count of eluding police. Buorkan pleaded no contest to both misdemeanors Friday morning, and in exchange prosecutors dropped the reckless driving charge.

The felony charge of eluding the police will go before a grand jury Aug. 6.

Buorkan first caught the attention of state troopers April 28 at 9 p.m. about two miles north of Dixie Caverns in Roanoke County. State trooper D.R. Lambert, who was working in Botetourt County that evening, testified that he was radioed by a trooper in Roanoke County who said he had clocked a motorcycle going more than 80 mph.

Within seconds of receiving word of the speeding motorcycle, Lambert saw Buorkan in his cruiser mirror. When Buorkan flew by, he was traveling at 160 mph, 95 mph over the posted limit, Lambert said.

Lambert said he was able to catch up with the motorcycle about two miles down the road, where Buorkan had encountered traffic.

As the trooper approached, Buorkan accelerated onto the right shoulder. He continued to swerve through traffic until he briefly left the interstate at exit 156. He drove straight through the exit and merged back onto I-81 for several miles, eventually disappearing from Lambert's view.

Buorkan was found minutes later by Botetourt County sheriff's deputies off exit 162, where he had crashed in a field of grass and thick mud.

Lambert said he spoke with Buorkan about the high speed of the chase. "I asked him a reason why he was traveling that fast," Lambert said, "and he said he was stupid."

Buorkan emerged without a scratch, but Botetourt County Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney John Alexander said that the potential for disaster was tremendous.

"It's amazing he wasn't just a grease spot on the highway," he said.

Though perhaps not a land speed record, Lambert said that 160 mph was much faster than any previous speeding violation he had encountered.

State police public relations manager Corinne Gellar said that Virginia does not keep records for the fastest speed recorded on a citation, but she did say that sports bikes were the primary culprits of speeding violations in excess of 100 mph.

Buorkan's defense attorney, Ronnie Clay, had no comment on the case.

Campbell has a reputation of being tough on speeding motorists. In 2001 he fined North Carolina resident Henry Anderson $500 and sentenced him to 19 days in jail for going 99 mph on U.S. 220.

Coincidentally, Clay, who used to be an assistant commonwealth's attorney in Botetourt County, was the prosecutor in Anderson's case.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 PM

I'd say lesser jail time and a bigger fine would be more appropriate. At least the kid admitted he was being stupid. Like 60 days in jail and $10,000 fine. People who do drugs get out in 20-30 days with little fine.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 AM

I would like to see 3 years without his license, forced defensive driving school, the bike get auctioned and the $2000.00 fine, (and no jail time.) It's harsh but he makes all of us look like reckless dingbats.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
I'd say lesser jail time and a bigger fine would be more appropriate. At least the kid admitted he was being stupid. Like 60 days in jail and $10,000 fine. People who do drugs get out in 20-30 days with little fine.
I disagree. People who do drugs, put themselves in danger only. This idiot, could have killed other people on the road. Imagine if he would have hit a car with a child inside doing 160mph...

More jail time is definately deserved.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 AM

I don't feel sorry for the guy, but in all honestly, DWI's are a bigger problem then squids on bikes speeding. How many victims are killed from DWI? Now compare that with the number of victims killed from high speed motorcycle accidents NOT including the rider. DWI also includes drug usage and alcohol. NC country areas has a big meth problem and accidents happen all the time because of it. Not only that but our Hispanic population as grown exponentially and because of their culture/heritage, they are the accounting nearly 3x higher then any other race for DWI's and vehicular deaths.

The likely hood of the rider killing another motorist or pedestrian is considerably lower than a car. And most of the time, the only person getting hurt or killed are the riders.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 AM

160mph- big deal

Let's be honest here- for those of you with bikes capable of 160+mph, how many of you HAVEN'T seen that (or more) speed?
Definitely not me. Guilty as charged!

I think the vast majority of sportbikers are going to top-end their bike at some time or another. The key is finding an appropriate place/time to do so. This guy obviously chose poorly.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
I don't feel sorry for the guy, but in all honestly, DWI's are a bigger problem then squids on bikes speeding. How many victims are killed from DWI? Now compare that with the number of victims killed from high speed motorcycle accidents NOT including the rider. DWI also includes drug usage and alcohol. NC country areas has a big meth problem and accidents happen all the time because of it. Not only that but our Hispanic population as grown exponentially and because of their culture/heritage, they are thaccounting nearly 3x higher then any other race for DWI's and vehicular deaths.
Your first comment was about people doing drugs, not DWIs. Doing drugs endanger that person ONLY. But I'll comment on DWIs as well. DWI includes drugs and alcohol, yes, but you can only use the drug incidents to prove your point so you can't include the alcohol figures.

First, it's about the frequency to compare the 2. Drug incidents of DWI are a bigger problem because of frequency. Obviously DWIs are more frequent than people doing 160mph+ down an interstate on a sportbike. Make the figures the same in frequency for both and I'm sure the deaths of uninvolved parties would be closer to equal. It's all in frequency, not in the seriousness of it.

For instance, let's say 100 DWIs are done in a month but only 1 sportbike incident. One could assume logically that the DWIs would have caused more victim deaths. But, change it to 100 DWIs and 100 160mph+ sportbike incidents down interstates and while the number of DWI victim deaths would remain unchanged, you have a lot more people die by idiots on bikes.

Just because one is more of a problem because it happens more often, doesn't mean the other is any less of an offense. That's like saying more people die in DWI related crimes than first degree murder so murder should carry a lesser sentence. 1st degree murder is still that, murder.

Quote:
The likely hood of the rider killing another motorist or pedestrian is considerably lower than a car. And most of the time, the only person getting hurt or killed are the riders.
So, by that logic, it's because he's on a bike as well that it shouldn't be punished as much? If he was in a cage, he should get the larger jail time? Since when did the mode of transportation dictate endangering someone else's life? And even if it is a "lesser" chance with a bike, it's still a chance to end someone else's life that didn't ask for it.

This kid was being reckless. He was doing 160mph on an interstate with other people around. Hell yes he deserves the jail time. The fact he was on a bike doesn't make a difference. Cage, bike, truck, SUV, DWIs are a bigger problem...doesn't matter. Someone else could have died.

Not doing any kind of argument, and I see what point you're trying to make but I 100% do not agree with it.

Last edited by Vipes; 07-18-2007 at 01:19 PM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM

An 03 YZF600 doing a radared 160mph, I didn't think that this bike was able to do that?

Top speed on that bike I thought was about 150mph -ish
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vipes
I disagree. People who do drugs, put themselves in danger only.
Where do drungs (cocaine) come from? Columbia? How is columbia ran.... Considering the government is not up to par, its run (partially ) by drug lords.... who get their funding from..... users.

When the drug lords kill people, or rape people.... This violence is then drawn back to the people funding this practise.... Users.

Just because we cant see it happening in this country does not mean its not happening at all......

Last edited by WSU Tony; 07-18-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode